PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stering wheel noise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2003, 09:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default stering wheel noise

I read somewhere in the fourm (can't find it though) on people experiencing a noise when turning the stering wheel. Don't know if its a problem with all cruisers, certain years? or turbo's. In any event, mine just started doing it. anyone know what the fix is? Thanks gary
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, there have been two problems identified. On some the clockspring in the steering wheel had to be replaced. This was a clicking noise. Since last summer, a rubbing or squeaking noise when the wheel was turned has been showing up. The fix for that seems to require the replacement of the rack and pinion. Dealers seem to be handling it under warranty but some are trying other fixes, such as "special" steering fluids, etc first. Those "special" fixes do not work and after a few trips to the dealer they will end up having to order the rack and pinion unit.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:14 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks, mine seems to be the squeaking and rubbing. I hope they do the right thing first, its a hassle going back and forth.
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Hmmm... I have been experiencing a 'creaking' noise from my steering wheel just lately, but only when I go to full lock in either direction. This noise definitely seems to be coming from the steering column as it really noticeable inside the car.

I mentioned it on my last service and after the service they told me they were ordering a replacement steering column and that they would call me when the part came in. Are the noises others are experiencing coming from the same area as mine, or is this something else again?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As MichealDay says, there are apparently two different problems. I recall a few months ago another forum I used to follow had multiple reports of a "popping" sound within the column itself which were traced to faulty bushings. Replacing the column was the solution. There are also at least three Tech Service Bulletins for steering column noises: 1900601, 1900601A, and 1900702, so DC is aware of the problem(s). Good luck!
Old 17 Aug 2003, 06:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Try unlocking the tilt and moving the wheel up and down. It worked for me.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 11:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Great Info!

I noticed the sound coming from the steering column (like a rubbing sound) about a month ago (10,000 miles).

I'll try unlocking the tilt before I complain.

Thanks!
Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 05:30 pm
Young Cruiser

We've noticed a "rubbery squeak" when we turn the wheel in Prudence ('01), as well. Sounds like two rubber gaskets sliding against each other, almost like it's part of the interior trim around the steering column or something like that. Hope it's not the rack-n-pinion problem! Taking her in to have them rotate the tires next week, and I'll ask them to check it out (and I will definitely go armed with the TSB numbers!)

beebs
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is chrysler admitting that there is a problem with them?? or do people get the run around from there dealership about it??
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:55 pm
Administrator

Just took mine in for the rubbing sound. They ordered a rack and pinion, under warranty.
Closed Thread