Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Third party oil filter voids warranty??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2003, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Third party oil filter voids warranty??

I've just had the dealership tell my wife that if she doesn't use a Mopar filter it will void the warranty on the car. Am I the only one who thinks this is BS? Anyone know for sure?

This by the way is the same dealer that "accidentally" forgot to put the Mobil 1 synth in the car my wife told them to use, then told her it'd be fine to use dino oil instead, people switch back and forth all the time...
Old 15 Aug 2003, 05:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Boy I would like to see them try to make that stick. He is saying that the entire oil filter industry doesn't make products that meet or exceed factory spec. I would take that to the service manager and have him put it in writing. That shouldn't be a problem for them if they truely feel they have the backing of DC on that.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Aug 2003, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree. Think I'll have him put it in writing.

In a nutshell, here's what went wrong when my wife brought the car in for its second oil change today:
1) They said I had the wrong filter.
2) They said I need to use Mopar filters or else.
3) After getting a Mopar filter, they "forgot" that my wife had specified to use the Mobil 1 Synthoil we were supplying them. They put dino oil in and said it's okay to switch back and forth.
4) At least they didn't charge us for all this.

I know that going from synth to dino is not good for the seals (checked this with an independent ASE mechanic), so I had her call back and after some convincing the dealer will take the car back in tomorrow to put the Mobil 1 I bought in.

I've checked 6 ways to Sunday, and according to my cross references the Motorcraft FL400S - A Purolator - is the right filter for my GT Turbo. It certainly was when they put one on during the FIRST oil change (this is the second change, and should have been the second with Mobil 1). L20195 is the Purolator number cross referenced to it. I based my choice on a couple of different articles on the web including the famous Oil Filter Study.

If you ask me, they took advantage of my wife because she isn't as car savvy as I am (and probably because she's a woman).
Old 15 Aug 2003, 08:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with your assesment, they took advantage of her. I would put the documentation in their face.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Aug 2003, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree, this is crap !! the dealership is wrong !! i would say something to them !! keep us posted !!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They absolutely cannot tell you what kinds of parts to use on your vehicle. Not using a Mopar oil filter will NOT void the warranty. You also do NOT have to have them do the oil changes. Your rights are outlined in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.
2002 Series 1 Dream Cruiser
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all your help. http://www.portadiesel.com/docs/magnusson.html is a site that quotes the part of the act Tammy refers to. Great stuff. Printed it. Not sure tonight what we'll do, we're leaning towards simply taking our stuff to our (more local) mechanic to have him do it. HE won't disrespect my wife.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

IMHO, this is not only BS, it is "BIG BS!!!" [}] [:0] If I were you, I would find a new dealership for service. Good luck.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

If the dealer wants to pay for it OK but if not its K&N for me![8)]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 16 Aug 2003, 06:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to satellite66

My dealer told me that I can have my vehicle serviced anywhere but to save the reciepts. He said if I change my old oil just save the reciept for the things I purchase. Of course he said they would prefer that you bring it back to them but it was not mandatory.

2003 Electric Blue 5spd
Many on the political left are so entranced by the beauty of their vision that they cannot see the ugly reality they are creating in the real world.
Closed Thread