PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Bumper Discoloration

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2003, 01:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2001 Bumper Discoloration

Looks like factory masking tape markings. There's no residue on the surface but apparently the oils (?) in the urethane got stripped when the tape did.

Is this a TSB issue (my warranty is expired) or is there a fix - short of painting it?
Old 17 Aug 2003, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have the same problem on my black 2002 pt. i thought it was wax i had gotten on the bumper.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 03:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you think the oil's gone from the urethane, you might try wiping some WD40 on it and see if it soaks in.[:I]
Old 18 Aug 2003, 09:28 am
Young Cruiser

Most folks report getting those marks on the rear bumper - that's where mine appeared.

There are threads concerning the marks on this as well as the PTE forum. There is no TSB that I've seen, Some people managed to get the dealer to paint their bumpers under warranty.

I was going to try to have mine replaced under warranty but have heard that replacement unpainted bumper covers develop the same problem and I don't want painted bumpers. I guess I'll just live with the problem.

I've not seen a cleaning cure posted yet but would be interested in any that may be out there!

Puck
Old 18 Aug 2003, 09:55 pm
Young Cruiser

I had the same problem on my 2001. I thought that it was from when my wife got it detailed, but now I see that it isn't. I am not to concerned with it because I plan to change my bumpers to Xenon soon. Thanks for letting me know that I am not he only one with this problem
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ditto on this one. I thought i was seeing a reflection off the grille. Oh well, if it is a warrantee issue maybe I'll get them painted, or get PTeazer's full grille and bumperette.
Old 05 Sep 2003, 07:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Found this to add fuel to the fire:

http://www.ptownersclub.com/cgi/ubb/...c&f=3&t=000381

Any updates on this?
Old 05 Sep 2003, 11:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have an '02 almond limited and don't have the "tape look" on the bumpers but I do have discoloring on them... last week while washing it i saw a small amount of discoloring on the side & top of the bumper....so stupid me thought it might be soap so i tried waxing the bumper and it made it worse..lucky for me that i did a test area (of course the area I tested was right were the discoloring was on top of the bumper)... anyway now my bumper has a little more white discoloring were I put the wax... but that is what it looks like... wax that needs to be wiped off!!!! but i am thinking about painting the bumpers the same as the car.... all the '04s are painted now anyway.
later ptcruizerman
Old 07 Sep 2003, 01:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

My 2001 is in the shop right now for 'tape mark' textored bumper cover replacement under warranty. Chrysler will replace "in kind"...they will not re-paint the cover you have (the dealers do not have a repair procedure). You might be able to get the dealer to replace the textored cover with a smoothie (like that on all new 04's) painted body color. It may cost you the difference of costs or may not. I'm getting the smoothies.

Don't LIVE WITH the problem!
Old 07 Sep 2003, 07:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Had my Cruiser in the dealership for another issue last week. Spoke with the service manager about some black marks left on my front bumper last time it was in and when he looked he said I think the marks are just grease but I am going to have to replace the bumper covers anyway because of the tape like marks on them. He has ordered the new and they will install them on the 16th.Javascript:insertsmilie('%5B%5D')