PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
whats the difference between clear & pearl coat??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2003, 01:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Default whats the difference between clear & pearl coat??

Hey everyone I have a question... does anyone know if there is a difference between the clear coat and the pearl coat? I see that some of the colors are called clear coat and others are called pearl coat? I have an '02 limited and the offical name of the color is "Light almond pearl metallic clear coat" others are either clear or pearl?
Also, is there a difference in the way you clean or polish them?
Thanks much
daniel dcruizer
Old 15 Sep 2003, 03:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I believe that currently a pearl coat is a clear coat that is tinted. In the old days, a pearl coat was a translucent coat put over a base color like white. Think about the rainbow haze on the inside of a clam shell. These were what the translucent colors were like except you had to apply a different coat for each different color you wanted. On a curved surface the color changed like today's chameleon paints except whole color didn't change, just the tint of the reflection.
Today's pearl coat is much less noticeable. Probably mostly sales hype. I think you treat it just like regular clear coat but wait for Gary's answer to be sure.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:23 am
Dedicated Cruiser

2sb is correct, all of the colors are topped with clear, or tint added clear. some even have a slightly different "tint" added to the base coat. Caring for the finish is no different than what you would normally do. (which I hope you are using my products, LOL) The Inferno red on our Cruisers (which is one reason I got this color) is actually a 3-stage paint application. (remember the added cost of that color I think it was $200 extra.) The primer has a coat of light silver added before it gets the red, giving this color added depth. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 16 Sep 2003, 01:00 am
Regular Cruiser

thanks guys... that helped alot... and I do remember that extra $ for the inferno red... i just didn't know why they would give it a pearl coat and a clear coat... thought cuz I was special...lol.. and I do use mothers products thanx to you... also very interested in the claybar that I've been reading about... can't wait till I can try it out myself... I LOVE HAVIN' THE BABY SHINE AND LOOKIN' GOOOOD
btw the usa today had a thing about the claybar in there today...
thanx again
daniel dcruizer
Old 16 Sep 2003, 01:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Actually it is nothing more than hype. If anyone is old enough to remember hot rods and customs back in the sixties and seventies the really great paint was a true pearl paint called Mother of Pearl. It would pick up the colors around it The entire color palette.You could really see it at night It was much more than just a light color because on a cloudy day it looked gray.Cadillac and a few other cars made lame efforts to bring it back. But it has gone the way of the True candy apple colors and don't forget metalflake. I had a Pontiac ragtop that had a metalflake with 30 coats or clear on it and it looked like you could put your hand into the paint the color was so deep. It has gone away because of cost. I did a swap with the painter. I build his race car and he painted my car. All it cost me was materials and my labor. If I remember right I spent about $200 for them in 1971.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 11:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

All of Chrysler's paints are clear coated. gives them depth.
The pearls have a "pearl" substance in the color coat.
The metallics have powered metal in the color coat.
Those listed just as clear coat are plain paint.
The top coat is just clear on them all.
Inferno Red has three coats; red pearl, red tinted clear, and clear.