PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
differant oil filter

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2003, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default differant oil filter

Changed oil in the gt today and found a differant oil filter than my 01 had. Just seems to be longer with the same thread and oil seal face. I put the shorter old fram 3614 on the gt today due to the fact that I have some left over and they seem just less capacity.If anyone know if there is a problem using the shorter please let me know. It will surly be easier to remove it next time. Other than length I see no differance in them. Flash
Installing tubo grade 1 upgrade tomorro
Btg axle back in shipping
Old 19 Sep 2003, 09:35 pm
Young Cruiser

You have significantly more square inches of filter surface and a small amount more oil in the correct 3600 filter. Personally I would not go out and pull the filter you just put in but certainly would get the larger one for future changes. I would even recomend non turbo owners to use the bigger filter.

I have since back in the 70's always researched a cross reference to a large filter on every car I have owned. The 3614 filter called for on the NA PT's was also the spec'd filter on my 2.2 turbo Daytona's and my 89 Dakota pick-up. In both those cases I had the clearance to use the PH8A filter which holds a full qt of oil. It's worked for me; 240,000 miles on my first 2.2 turbo, 176,000 on teh one the PT GT replaced and 246,000 on my 89 Dakota.