PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2003, 10:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Horns

I think most would agree that the stock 2003 horn sounds someone has a sock stuffed in the cone. Besides adding the second horn, which was left out, has anyone added a novelty horn, like a trumpet? a-ug-a? beep beep? or ??? that can comment on, I was looking at JC Whitney and counted 45 horns for the cruiser< crazy> Moss has an A UG A horn as well. Would like to hear some positive ideas back, Thanks gary
Old 25 Sep 2003, 10:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, it depends on your objective. If you just want to be heard, either adding the second horn from a pre 2003 model or adding small air horns will work. If you want a novelty horn the Ooga horns seem to fit the PT retro image well. A wolf whistle would also be an attention getter as a secondary horn.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:01 am
Cool Cruiser

This would be real cool especially when you walk away from your car and hit the remote lock button!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, if you're into loud heres the loudest horns (except for air horns) that I've heard. They are Hella German horns and advertise @ 113db and they are all of that. Got them@ http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...=22&search.y=8. They are a touch expensive, however they supply all of the impact for the alarm and road warnings that you,ll need. I mounted them behind the grille as you can see from the pic. I can't take credit for finding these though, I saw them in a post earlier this year on this site. (I believe it was OurPTGTs post, but I'm not sure) comes with wiring and a relay also. It is not necessary to use the relay. The relay is for adding to original DUAL HORN systems. The GT horn does not draw enough current to get out of its own way so the Hellas can be wired in parallel to the original horn. There is even a pigtail that can be used located right next to the original horn. (this was to be used for the other original horn that is missing)

Alan [}]
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i know a guy who put a 5 mile train horn in his pt!! you want loud thats the way to go
Old 25 Sep 2003, 12:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

would any of these horns be in place of or in addition to the exsisting one? G
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 25 Sep 2003, 12:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, the Hellas can be added to compliment the the existing horn. I disconnected my oem horn because it sounded so wimpy.
BTW: You Have Mail

Alan [}]
Old 25 Sep 2003, 12:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just curious as to which horn is missing on the 03's? Is it the Low note or the High note? And how many dB's is it? Am now considering just adding the "missing" one to whatever one is already there, given Gear Head's insight above...

Thanks!

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Old 25 Sep 2003, 01:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Part of the problem is where the horn is mounted. It is protected very well from the elements, that same protection tends to mute the sound of any horn that is mounted in that same place no matter how you point them. They are concealed behind the passenger side headlight and the area is covered on the other 3 sides by plastic panels. This leaves only a fairly small airspace for the sound to project outside of the vehicle. I installed a high note and a low note horn from a 2003 alero in that cavity, and although the horn was louder, (much Louder when actuated outside of the vehicle for a test) it was still too muted for me when installed in the stock location. But then I wanted LOUD. Thats why I mounted the hellas behind the grille pointing forward. No air restriction or plastic to absorb the sound. Thats jusy my two cents. I think that it is the High note horn thats missing, but I am not sure. (sorry)

Alan [}]
Old 25 Sep 2003, 01:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gear_Head

Part of the problem is where the horn is mounted. It is protected very well from the elements, that same protection tends to mute the sound of any horn that is mounted in that same place no matter how you point them. They are concealed behind the passenger side headlight and the area is covered on the other 3 sides by plastic panels. This leaves only a fairly small airspace for the sound to project outside of the vehicle. I installed a high note and a low note horn from a 2003 alero in that cavity, and although the horn was louder, (much Louder when actuated outside of the vehicle for a test) it was still too muted for me when installed in the stock location. But then I wanted LOUD. Thats why I mounted the hellas behind the grille pointing forward. No air restriction or plastic to absorb the sound. Thats jusy my two cents. I think that it is the High note horn thats missing, but I am not sure. (sorry)

Alan [}]
Appreciate the info...I suppose my next question would be regarding your concerns of the exposure of the elements to your Hellas. Not that they don't look *DARN* good like that [?], but do you think that the elements might ever take their toll on 'em? Just ~MY~ .02

Mike

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Closed Thread