PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
quick tip for taking great photos of your pt

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2003, 01:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default quick tip for taking great photos of your pt

I an amateur photog and here is a tip that will make your pictures ten times better.

Meter with a 13% gray card, not the car.

The camera tries to make everything 18% gray, so if you shot a completely white wall, it would come out 18% gray and if you shot a completely black wall(assuming your camera can expose long enough) it would come out 18% gray.

When your camera sees the scene, it tries to make it an average 18% gray, and this is what leads to bad pictures, because, if your meter off an object that's less than 18%, then everything will be too light, and if its lighter, everything will be too dark.

What to do: Go to a local camera shop and buy a 13% gray card and an 18% card. Both should run you less than $5. Follow the instructions on the card. Usually, it will say to angle the card 30 degrees at the light source and then point your meter( in this case, your lens) . Be sure to be close enough to let the gray fill the lens.

This way, when you take the picture, 18% gray is 18% gray and everything else looks exactly like it should.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 09:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Not quite sure I understand all of that but thanks for the tips anyway. I thought I was an amateur but I guess I one step down[:I]
Old 30 Sep 2003, 09:57 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm a "point and shoot" guy...then let my digital photo programs fix my mistakes.

Thanx for the tip, just the same.