PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quick detail

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2003, 10:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Quick detail

I was asked to post “simple washing tips” for some members and anyone else interested. Here are a few things to be aware of as we go into winter. If you don’t want to spend hours detailing your car, you still should put some protection on it before the bad weather hits us. You have two choices for washing ,either you go to a commercial wash (the best route is the self serve ones with a power washer) or do at by hand at home.
If you go to a self-serve bay, here is a little trick.
Items you will need;
Garden pump sprayer, (2 gal size) car wash soap, bucket, wash mitt, drying towels, plastic gallon jugs filled with water. Pour soap in garden sprayer per directions for 2 gallons. Pump pressure in sprayer; apply all over Cruiser as a presoak. (Get inside wheel wells too) after you car is good and wet, pour enough water in buckets, to fill ¾ and add some soap per ratio as directed. Put your terry mitt in bucket. Now, start from the top, using the sprayer making sure you keep the surface wet, work in cycles of spraying, then washing with the bucket. The spray will keep surface wet, and loosen the contaminants. After you wash entire car, put in your coins, and set it on rinse cycle. Rinse the car clean with the power washer. (Don’t forget to get wheel wells, tires and wheels.) Dry with a waffle weave Micro Fiber towel if you have, like the ones I sell) or if not, just use terry towels.
*NOTE, if your car is extremely dirty, run the power washer once on car prior to using the steps listed. When you drive home, that should air dry areas you missed. Now, if you use my simple two part cleaning/sealing method. You should be able to clean and seal your exterior in about an hour and a half. Just apply the cleaner, as you would say a wax, work in small sections, and remove with MF towel. After you do this, apply my sealant (do not remove right away) let it sit on car for about 20-30 min. You can relax, take a break, have some coffee and donuts as you get refreshed, and even a little excited knowing your car will soon will ready for winter, have protection on it, and will shine like a baby’s butt. You can also use the sealant on the chrome, door jams, inside rear hatch and hood *optional if you feel motivated. The sealer comes off like butter, and will leave your finish with protection 5-6 times longer than the best most expensive wax money can buy. Any questions? Visit my web site> Gary

Old 09 Oct 2003, 12:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wish I knew I was supposed to let the sealant sit that long. I just washed - clay barred - sealed yesterday. Didn't let the sealant sit for more than a couple of minutes. Guess I'll have to try again somehow.
Old 09 Oct 2003, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Same here...
Gary, it needs to sit on for a half an hour???? I thought you told me just until it produces a "haze"???!!!
Yikes!!!

LIP
Old 09 Oct 2003, 02:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is great advice Gary:

The wash kit that you describe can fit easily into a 5 gallon bucket. This makes it easy to grab and throw into the back of my PT on the way to the car wash.

I will be putting the kit together for those freezing cold Winter days when I can't use my garden hose. I have everything I need except for the sprayer. Ace Hardware has them on sale so I'll get one today.

See . . . even obsessive compulsives like me can benefit from your "Retro washing" system.

Thanks Gary.

Old 09 Oct 2003, 05:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

OOPS Gary, I didn't let the sealer set either. I wiped it off as soon as it started to haze. Is it still protecting me or should I add another coat?
Old 09 Oct 2003, 07:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Guys, don't freak out if you removed the sealer right away, it does have a curing agent built in, so as long as you did as the directions said )dry to a haze) you will be fine. It doesn't hurt it if you let it sit for a few minutes or 20 minutes, its pretty much fool proof. so sit back, and look at your reflection in the car. sometimes if conditions are humid, the sealer will take longer to haze up, but its not hot anymore, anyway. Next time you use it, you will know, it can sit a little longer. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 15 Oct 2003, 06:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary:

I bought a sprayer and used it to pre-soak my car. It worked great. I washed and dried the car in 15 minutes. I finished with a light mist of detail spray and a final buff. The car looks super. Thanks for the help.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 09:43 am
Senior Cruiser

"sometimes if conditions are humid, the sealer will take longer to haze up, but its not hot anymore, anyway. Next time you use it, you will know, it can sit a little longer. Gary"

You kidding me, right? 82 degrees when I leave for work at 7AM and 92 degrees on my way home!

Very busy now with Halloween but after I will attack my wifes car with the goodies I just bought from you. Pictures will eventually follow.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:03 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I guess my mind was stuck in Chicago, 40 and falling fast.
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Closed Thread