PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
First Oil Leak? Ack!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2003, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default First Oil Leak? Ack!

Prudence just turned over 11,000 miles. Was changing the oil last week, and noticed oil on the passenger side ("front" end) of the engine, and put my hand up inside the plastic shroud at the right side and front of the oil pan and felt the side of the engine and fingers had oil on 'em. Doesn't appear to be dripping really bad yet, but at least "seeping" enough to collect on the plastic shroud and get coated with dust/dirt. Anyone else have oil leak probs with an '01? Anybody know what it might be that's leaking?

beebs
Old 16 Oct 2003, 07:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would suspect that your oil pan is seeping. I would thoroughly clean it and dry it then run the engine and use a bright light to look for the leak. It may be a simple matter of tightening the pan bolts. You might also look to see if your oil pressure sender is seeping.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 10:34 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions....we're gonna give the car a bath this weekend, and I'll clean the area with the oil/dirt buildup then. If oil leaks are covered under the warranty, I'll take it in to the dealer on Monday and let them take care of it.

beebs

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GTSteve

I would suspect that your oil pan is seeping. I would thoroughly clean it and dry it then run the engine and use a bright light to look for the leak. It may be a simple matter of tightening the pan bolts. You might also look to see if your oil pressure sender is seeping.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 03:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are you sure its not spillage from re-filling the oil from the last oil change? I ask because I spilt some lst time I did I changed the oil, then about a week later, it made its way down to the undercarriage!!

Also, check the colour- if its RED< it may be tranny fluid and/or power steering.

Good luck
2009 White-Chocolate Platinum model F150 Supercrew 4X4
Old 18 Oct 2003, 10:55 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PT_Sean

Are you sure its not spillage from re-filling the oil from the last oil change?
Yep...I'm really paranoidally anal-retentive when it comes to putting oil in after a change (I've changed it six times in 11,000 miles so far, so I've got a routine down...place towels all around the filler hole, use a funnel, don't even think about tipping the plastic bottle until it's over the center of the funnel...etc.). And there wasn't any discernable color to it, just the dirt that had accumulated on the seepage, so I'm pretty sure it's oil...I haven't let the oil get any dirtier than turning a very slightly darker shade than it is when I put it in. She gets her bath tomorrow, so I'll check it out again. Thanks!

beebs
Closed Thread