PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What Color Should I Paint my.....

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2003, 10:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs
Default What Color Should I Paint my.....

....brake calipers? I'm getting my new eibach springs on this coming weekend [?], and was thinking of painting my calipers while I had the wheels off. Any suggestions? [:I]

I was originally thinking of going with the same blue as my ride (after seeing flashback2's blue ones at Carlisle, I was convinced). But now I'm thinking that it may be better to do a different color to add a little spice. What do y'all think? Perhaps a little red or something?

If anyone has pics of their painted calipers, please let me know. (especially you other electric blue cruisers!)

Also, has anyone heard of or experienced any performance issues from painted calipers? I haven't heard of any, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks for your help! I'll have digital pics of the spring install and painted calipers (hopefully) next week!

[8)]

Biebs

Old 27 Oct 2003, 11:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Yobiebs,

The only picture I have of my red calipers is in the calander voting #003. You would have to click on the picture twice to enlarge it but still probably not much of a close up. I went with the red for two reasons: #1 I was afraid that the blue caliper paint would be too off ( I haven't seen this combo yet but you apparently have) and #2 the color of the car doesn't matter, look at the vettes, porches and so on, body of car can be any color but usually the calipers are red. I went red and love it. Please let me know before I go home today if you would like to see a close up. If yes, when I get home I'll take a picture and post it for you.

I believe GTSteve is going blue but I don't know if he did it yet. Wait a minute, if he did it we would have seen it so I know that he didn't do it yet. It would be nice to see his close up and mine. That would give you both looks and your decision should be easier.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 11:45 am
Dedicated Cruiser

WARNING: When painting the calipers make sure you use High Temp resistant paint, and you allow the paint to cure/set before driving. otherwise you run the risk of melting the paint off. I followed this procedure when I had them done 6 months ago, no problems. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 27 Oct 2003, 11:51 am
Cool Cruiser

bigdog,

lookin' at the pick on the calendar contest, I can see the front pretty well. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm thinking that the red may also look good. the APC taillights I have are only chrome and red (no orange), so that red accent could show through a lot more. If you are able to take some more, closer pics, that would be great. I'm not getting them done until Saturday, so I have a few days to work with...

Gary, thanks for the warning on the hi-temp. That was one thing that MANY people have made sure to tell me...

The Philadelphia Flyer
Old 27 Oct 2003, 01:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by yobiebs

bigdog,

lookin' at the pick on the calendar contest, I can see the front pretty well. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm thinking that the red may also look good. the APC taillights I have are only chrome and red (no orange), so that red accent could show through a lot more. If you are able to take some more, closer pics, that would be great. I'm not getting them done until Saturday, so I have a few days to work with...
You got it. Tonight I post a picture or two for you. Got two sights for you to check out. http://www.redrumcustoms.com/caliper_paint.htm and aslo www.g2usa.com

I believe pricing on both sights including shipping. One at $39.00 and the factory at $43.00
Old 27 Oct 2003, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

bigdog, where did you get your paint? I know that flashback told me he got his at a regular auto parts store, and i know that my local auto store has specific caliper paint that doesn't cost $40. Just curious....

The Philadelphia Flyer
Old 27 Oct 2003, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

i painted mine black , just si i could show off my chrome wheels more
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 27 Oct 2003, 02:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yoiebs

I basically bought mine through the factory www.G2usa.com

$43.00 included shipping and no tax. I know there are others out there in the $20.00 neighborhood but I went with this product because it is made for race cars and needs to stand up to the heat (Turbomangt mention this earlier). I wanted something I knew would be a good product and would be only done once. My back is bad and I can only take bending down for a short time, in fact I was in pain after the fronts and never made it to the back. The back ones are pretty small and right now I am happy with the outcome with the fronts. Maybe one day I'll do the backs (I know I will) .I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS TWICE. The other products may be just as good and I threw $20.00 out the window but whats $10.00 per caliper? This is pretty tough stuff, two part epoxy. The kit comes with a cleaner and as long as it is clean it should last a long time.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 05:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yobiebs, I got the G2 kit for the calipers. If you're gomnna take the time to paint them it is definately a good Idea to use the 2 part epoxy based paint that is in the G2 Kit. Comes with spray on brake cleaner, a brush, mixing container and instructions on mixing and use of this type of paint. If used on a clean caliper, it should never come off. It is also very rugged. Hard to scratch clean through to the surface. Takes to cleaning very well without any damage. Tuff Stuff..........
Old 27 Oct 2003, 05:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okay, you guys talked me into it. I just need to make sure that I can get it before Saturday so that I can paint the calipers while my car is up getting the new springs. I ordered the G2 kit from Moss, and they said 3 days max, so it looks like I'll be posting pics next week of my new lowered PT with nice, red brake calipers. WooHoo!!!!

[?][?]

The Philadelphia Flyer
Closed Thread