PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
car theft in toronto!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2003, 02:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default car theft in toronto!

awhile back we had a discussion going about vehicle alarms, etc... i said if the theif wants your car he is going to get it, well just found this link that explains it all, much better then i did.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...gta/learn.html

punch
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

That was a great article Punch. It just shows that you can have the best alarm system in the world and it won't guarantee a thing. Everyone should read this as well as some of the articles following that particular one.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Wouldn't it be harder to steal a PT since the key needs to be programed which takes a second key?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

this is exactly what happened to me, I live in Toronto and about a year ago our 2003 caravan was stolen out of the driveway, the cop told us that 8 other caravans (all silver in color) were also stolen that night. my pops suspected some1 got an order from russia, I guess he was right.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Man, glad I don't live in Canada. Luckily we don't have this problem in So Cal...LOL!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

alarms are not designed to prevent your car from being stolen...they are designed more as a theft deterrent. The amateurs will not go after your car with an alarm, they would rather go after the car with no alarm at all. Plus if you get a good alarm with proximity for example the chances of your rims getting stolen are also quite low, your insurance also goes down a little.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

great article... scarey to think that that happens... but we all know that it goes on... it just brings it closer to home.. thanx for sharing...
ptcruizerman
daniel
Old 29 Oct 2003, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GTSteve

Wouldn't it be harder to steal a PT since the key needs to be programed which takes a second key?
It would, however one could just copy your vin number by looking through your windshield and then go to the dealer to have a key made up. If the dealer doesn't ask for any I.D., the thief would have a matching key and can steal your car at their convenience. Your only recourse for quick recovery with minimal loss would be to install a tracking system like LoJack and hopefully you report your car missing asap so the police can activate the homing device. A lot of police dept's have units assigned just for recovery. They usually find your car quickly but wait a bit. Thieves usually park a stolen car for a couple of hours or a day or 2 at a mall or on a street until they decide the car doesn't have a tracking device and then drive it to their chop shop. Then the police move in and bust everybody or they just recover your car.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 10:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

I thought that you needed a special PIN to get the key programmed? I can't remember if I read that in the owners manual or not, but I do remember reading that you are supposed to get a PIN from the dealer for your vehicle so YOU can copy your own keys. Not 100% on this one, anyone know for sure?
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 29 Oct 2003, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

good article !!
Closed Thread