PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Who has a bike rack?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2003, 10:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Who has a bike rack?

I found out you CAN'T order a factory mounted luggage rack on the car after you take possession. It has to be mounted while the car is being built. They do have a removable roof rack /bike rack/, but my experience with roof racks (have a Yamaha on my Grand Prix) is that no matter how careful you are, you scratch the hell out of the area where the clamps attach. I want to have something to carry bikes. I can't put on a hitch due to my roll pan, so I want to know if anyone has a bike rack that works without damaging the car. Thanks Gary
Old 05 Nov 2003, 10:43 am
Cool Cruiser

I use the Mopar trailer hitch plus the Mopar trailer hitch bike rack. Cost a bit (I think 450 for parts & labor, I'm positive you can get aftermarket for less) but it's an awesome setup. It can hold two bikes and has a release lever so you can pull down the bike rack to get into the trunk without having to take the bikes off the rack. I used it for my camping trips and it really worked out well.

The rack comes with velcro straps you use to keep the bike tires from spinning as well as the handle bars from turning. Basically the bikes are kept away from the body of the PT. I haven't had any scratching issues at all.

I was originally going to go with the roof mounted bike rack but the salesdroid asked me "How are you going to get the bikes up there?". It wasn't until then that I realized I would need to use a ladder if I wanted to bolt my bikes to the roof of the PT. This is why I chose the trailer hitch setup.
Old 05 Nov 2003, 10:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Didn't see your "Can't use a trailer hitch ..." comment until now. Guess you can forget my previous comment.