PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
hood blanket/liner thing

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2003, 02:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default hood blanket/liner thing

Is it there to reflect the heat or obsorb it?
Thanks
Old 17 Nov 2003, 02:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Since most of the liners I have seen are polished, they would reflect the heat. If they were a dark color, they would absorb the heat.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Michael,
I think the question was about the original blanket liner not an aftermarket shiny one.

OurPTGT,
I was told the original blanket under the PT (and most cars) hood is for fire suppression. If there's a fire, the plastic buttons that hold the blanket on are supposed to melt and drop the blanket on the fire and help smother it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 07:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I thought the blanket was to reduce engine noise to the outside. The plastic retainers were just cheap versions of the steel ones of the '60s.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 09:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

yeah I think its to deaden engine noise and to protect the hood from peeling.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I believe it is probably a combination of all the items mentioned above, to deaden engine noise, protect the paint from heat and to act as fire suppression, think about it, it does all three.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 17 Nov 2003, 11:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Michael,
I think the question was about the original blanket liner not an aftermarket shiny one.
OurPTGT,
I was told the original blanket under the PT (and most cars) hood is for fire suppression. If there's a fire, the plastic buttons that hold the blanket on are supposed to melt and drop the blanket on the fire and help smother it.
Cary, I read the same thing somewhere's. I'm thinking of painting mine with BBQ grill brush on paint. I purchsed one of those SS liners from ACC (after seeing yours at CTF3)but am having second thoughts on installing it. I think the heat from the turbo will surly melt the plastic trim around the edges. It just doesn't look like it will hold up to the heat. It's just collecting dust under the bed LoL! Decisions, decisions...[:0]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Kevin,

Until you said something....I didn't realize that the edging on the SS underhood piece was plastic. I just went out to the garage to check and your right. Do you really think it would melt? That's a bunch of money you put out to just let the thing stay under the bed. I guess you could try to sell it, or put it on and hope for the best.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 03:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

What does the liner on the edge do? Does it stop the liner from rubbing the hood or is it just dress edging? Is it removeable so it can just go bye-bye or be replaced if it shows signs of melting? Don't toss a SS shield just because of some plastic. You can probably use it if you just keep an eye out for deterioration.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The edging doesn't really do anything except dress up the edge, so the large piece could be put on without it. Not sure what the edge looks like without the edging though...could be a bit rough. I say TRY IT, and if there's heating (aka melting) problems, take the edge off. [:I]

Closed Thread