PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Luggage rack

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2003, 11:05 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Luggage rack

Maybe someone can tell me why it is that we can't add the roof mounted luggage rack AFTER we take delivery of the car. My dealer says it simply is not available. The only thing I can imagion is that they need to get under the rook liner to attach it. Now that I see Cruisers with them , I like it, but the only rack they sell is a removable one. (I can see the scratches already, no thanks) I guess I'm just complaining here, sorry . any thoughts welcome. Gary
Old 24 Nov 2003, 11:22 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Gary, you could try to get up with ceaesq, he posted this on 3/21/2003:

Quote:
quote:It will have ten holes, five on each side where the rails are, each about the size of a quarter. I know because I actually added one to my GT.

Gary, found a thread discussing removal and installation of a roof rack..
http://ptenthusiasts.org/PTForums/sh...k&pagenumber=1

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just FYI....

When I attempted to order my Cruiser back in 2001 (which never happened - Chrysler canceled the order after I waited almost 7 months), I remember the dealership tried very hard to discourage me from ordering it with the roof rack. They claimed that they had already gotten a lot of complaints on roof racks saying it severely increases wind noise. They told me that if I really wanted the roof rack, that I would end up sliding both crossbars all the way to the rear to reduce the wind noise problem as much as possible.

I don't have the roof rack so I don't know if this is really the case. I have seen some Cruisers locally with the rack and oddly enough, they have the cross bars shifted all the way to the back.

Those of you with the roof rack, is this true?
Old 25 Nov 2003, 01:17 am
Cool Cruiser

When I factory ordered my '03 GT, I wanted the roof rack but was told it wasn't an option.

That infuriated me, and even now, a year later, even though I havn't needed one yet, I still feel cheated out of it by some pencil pushing beaurocrat who thought it wouldn't look cool on the GT!!
Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 04 Dec 2003, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just thought I'd let you guys know there's a OEM PTC roof rack on e-bay right now.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42606

I'm available for consultation on installation.

Old 04 Dec 2003, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pushed mine back just for the looks and for ease of washing. Never had a problem with wind noise.
Old 04 Dec 2003, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[:I] It sounds to me as if someone was really jerking your chains. The roof racks were a big part of the selling spill when the PT first came out. When the racks are pushed towards the rear they go together and make a rear spoiler which really looks pretty clean. Barb and I both have racks on our PT's and have had no wind noise, I had mine put on afterwards by someone and they did a slock job so I had to re-do the work and I carry my Surfboard on top and have been up to 85+ mph with it up there and have had no problems at all. I do check and make sure everything is tight every now and then just to make sure and have not had any problems since I made sure everything is right. If you can get a set of the original OEM racks for the PT they are a good product and I give them a good rating.
Old 04 Dec 2003, 09:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just to let you know ... There is a Dream Cruiser I in Austin Texas.. She added a OEM roof rack after purchase. Let me know and I can put you in contact with her for information.

Moondoggie!
Founding Director
Houston City Cruisers
www.houstoncitycruisers.com
Old 05 Dec 2003, 09:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Guy Spagnoli

[:I] It sounds to me as if someone was really jerking your chains. The roof racks were a big part of the selling spill when the PT first came out. When the racks are pushed towards the rear they go together and make a rear spoiler which really looks pretty clean. Barb and I both have racks on our PT's and have had no wind noise, I had mine put on afterwards by someone and they did a slock job so I had to re-do the work and I carry my Surfboard on top and have been up to 85+ mph with it up there and have had no problems at all. I do check and make sure everything is tight every now and then just to make sure and have not had any problems since I made sure everything is right. If you can get a set of the original OEM racks for the PT they are a good product and I give them a good rating.
Guy,

If you were responding to my post, I fail to see how a salesman would have been "jerking my chain". In fact, the manager of this dealership also told me the same thing. Why would a dealership want to talk a potential customer out of purchasing a vehicle with less options? It's always the other way around.

Bottom line... I am glad that what they told me was not true and that you and others have had good service from it. I liked the rack from the beginning and kind of wished mine had one.
Closed Thread