PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wind noise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2003, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wind noise

My 2003 PTCruiser has been in 2 different shops for the "wind buffeting" - I was told by the last dealership that they are 99% sure my noise is coming from the drivers door mirror. He (Service Mgr.) said that the mirrors were redesigned for 2003 and of course nothing can be done to fix it. Mine was the dealership's first complaint - He also drove a 2004 and it did the same thing - Sounds like DESIGN DEFCT to me. I spoke with Chrysler today and was told nothing would be done to correct this "noise" unless more people called Chrysler to complain. The customer service # is 1-800-992-1997. Please if anyone else has this problem, let them know of it and maybe, it might be taken more seriously. I know it's a long shot but.....
The service manager also told me that installing both a bug and rain deflectors could help the situation but could also make it worse.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

CTMAC,

Are you talking about the "buffeting" wind noise when the drivers window is open? If so, that has been around as long as the cruiser itself. To get rid of it, just open up one of the other windows a bit or the moonroof if you have one. The only thing Chrysler did on the 03 model outside mirrors was to take away the "break-away" joint and make the housing one piece. This was done, as far as we know, to save money (along with a few other things) and not to do away with the noise.

1000 **** and still going strong [?]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 05:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

CREWZIN, congrats on 1000[^]

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 10 Dec 2003, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The noise is when the window is closed - it sounds like your driving down the highway and your window is not up all the way that howling, air leak kinda noise that can drive a perosn nuts. I had a 2001 that did not make this noise and I bought it used. I had no idea that when I bought the new one that it was a noise that couldn't be fixed - otherwise I would have bought something else. I only know what the service manager told me about the redesigned mirrors theory - guess it sounds like a line. Thanks for your reply CREWZIN.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Congrats on 1000 CRUZIN!!!!! [^]
Old 10 Dec 2003, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan and IRPT

Congrats on 1000 CREWZIN!!!!! [^]
Thanks guys.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 01:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

this may seem dumb, but have you guys checked theweatherstripping around the window seam in the door? There may be a crack, leak or even a missing piece? As for the problem i've never experienced it, but all i listen to is the motor and exhaust. I know the guys with GT's that have done the "rear hood stripping"mod have noticed that the cowl shakes at highway speeds once it is removed...me included, you kinda think the hood is just gonna fly off!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 03:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Try going to a wand car wash and spray strongly on the door and window seals. Have someone inside to check for leaks. Good Luck!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 10:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ctmac

The noise is when the window is closed - it sounds like your driving down the highway and your window is not up all the way that howling, air leak kinda noise that can drive a perosn nuts. I had a 2001 that did not make this noise and I bought it used. I had no idea that when I bought the new one that it was a noise that couldn't be fixed - otherwise I would have bought something else. I only know what the service manager told me about the redesigned mirrors theory - guess it sounds like a line. Thanks for your reply CREWZIN.
Check the strip of weather sealant around the window. My rear one came off...apparently its quite a problem with a lot of cruiser owners [}]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 10:24 am
Cool Cruiser

It is not the mirrors, as I wanted the chrome caps so I put 01 mirrors on my 03 GT, I still had the same noise , the fix is, #1 put the window down, #2 with the door open , put your knee at the base of the window (inside each end of door at the handle and then at the door lock) pull or snap the top of the door towards you , not enough to break it, just a sharp jerk, this will make the door fit tighter, if you have another veh, to try this on do so, because most of you will be afraid to do this on your PT. and some of you will think i am nuts, but it works, did it to mine and no more noise,