PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How Long Will The Motor Last ??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2003, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How Long Will The Motor Last ??

Just purchased a 2004 Touring addition in Midnight Blue Metallic. I had been wanting one for quite a while, and finally took the plunge. I guess I should have found this forum before I bought it though. I see many positive responses about the PT, but 1 question I have not seen answered, is How many miles can you expect to get out of the motor that they put in the PT ? I just have the stock motor and not the turbo. Many people have said to me, that the PT has a Neon motor, which normally will not last over 100,000 miles. Is this true??
Old 19 Dec 2003, 06:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Cut n Shoot Cruiser, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Cruiser! Check out this thread, it will give you some information on how well everyone's PT's are performing.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5272

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 19 Dec 2003, 06:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I could be wrong but the 2.4L engine was not used in a Neon as far as I know. It was used in the Stratus/Breeze.

I would expect to get at least 7 years out of the engine with proper maintainence. After all the Warranty is that long on the powertrain. Everything I have ever read says that these engines are overbuilt so I would not worry to much.

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board and congrats on your new toy!!
Old 19 Dec 2003, 09:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

WELCOME![^] Your owners manual outlines a normal maint schedule. Using that on my previous 3 cars I acheived the following,
'79 Malibu 189,000 ~ '87 CRX 223-225,000 and my current daily driver '95 Dodge Avenger 234,000 miles. NO major drivetrain repairs on any of them. REGULAR maint is key. The PT has newer technology so I'm betting on getting as much as my previous cars. Come to think of it, I have already surpassed my previouse 3 cars in repairs with my PT[:0]

another of my useless post's
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 20 Dec 2003, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's one of the first that went over 100,000 miles:
http://ptenthusiasts.org/PTForums/sh...ght=padre+dave
He's a "man of the cloth", so it's the truth!
Welcome, and don't worry 'bout the engine.
(Worry about the transmission).
I understand the 2.4 was developed fron the Neon 2.0, and I had 145,000 on a Neon before I traded it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2003, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Welcome! have a great time.[^]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 20 Dec 2003, 03:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Don't worry about the engine. My brother is the service manager at a DC dealer. the 2.4 is a very relible engine. There is no reason that it cannot go 200K + with proper care. The PT is one of the most trouble free cars that DC has produced. Of course, things do go wrong, but he told me that he sees fewer PT's than any other car. Thats why i have two!

2005 Touring turbo convertible.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 12:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Hi, Cut N Shoot Cruiser! I am right up the road from you in Willis, Texas! I have a 2001 cruiser with right at 50, 0000 miles and no problems! Rhinowayne on the PTCC forum has over 100,000 miles and is doing fine, too. Post there and he can tell you more about his too- www.ptcruiserclub.org. I got mine in April of 2000- mine was about the third one De Montrond got in, when the cruiser first came out. We saw it at the Houston car show in February, loved it, ordered it the next day. I have been extremely pleased with the car and had almost no trouble with it. I do keep up assiduously with the oil changes and regular maintenance thingys they recommend. Hope you enjoy the car and have as great luck with it as we have had, and have as much fun! There are some fun local and Texas cruiser events also you might enjoy, as well as other activities going on all over the country. E-mail me if you would like any information or if I can help you in any way. My husband and I are the folks who own Wise Pools in the Conroe/Woodlands area. Welcome![^]
Old 21 Dec 2003, 04:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Welcome Cut N Shoot Cruiser!! I also took the plunge and picked up a new PT a few weeks back and I love it, now my only problem is what mod first!! Man I tell you I just can't get over the amount of people I run into on the web that live so close to me, I am from Liberty Tx, just east of Houston not too far from your stomping grounds..LOL

Well maybe one day I will meet up with some of you other Cruiser owners, until then just keep on Cruisin!!!!!!!
[8)]
Closed Thread