PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
towing a cruiser

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2003, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default towing a cruiser

Driving my(oops,our)cruiser to Fla. for jan.Getting a big ass ford f-250 whilst down there so plan on towing the cruiser back w/a 2 wheel dolly from u-haul.
Any hints,tips,problems I should be aware of?
the big grin says the 23 mpg of the cruiser won't look so bad compared to the way back!!
Old 29 Dec 2003, 02:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

ive trailerd my pt from az to modesto to austin and my next big trip is to vegas, i have a chevy 1500 with a 350 in it and it tows like a dream no problems, i have a open flate bed trailer, but after tax season and bouns time im getting an enclosed trailer, the pts alwasy trailer nice

\"You All Laugh Because I\'M Different, I Laugh Because YOU\'RE All The Same!\"
Old 30 Dec 2003, 12:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Cook, I travel and live in my RV. I tow my PT Cruiser on all four wheels but the cost of modifications to the car are prohibitive for occasional towing (especially with an automatic). However, I talk to lots of folks that tow their cars (including PT Cruisers) on tow dollies. The things to look out for are: 1) be very careful putting the car onto and taking the car off of the dolly (it is very easy to drag the front of the Cruiser), 2) don't try to drive too far forward (running off the front of the tow dolly will require a tow truck to fix), 3) tighten the straps that go over the front wheels TIGHT, then after 25-50 miles stop and tighten them again (you will be surprised how much they will loosen up after just being put on), 4) don't get in a hurry driving with the tow dolly back there (I see folks towing cars on dollies at 70+mph but I have also seen then go out of control and end up with both vehicles in the ditch either upright or turned over).

Be safe and you will have your PT back in good condition. Oh, enjoy that Ford F-250. Mileage is not it's forte but hauling is.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 09:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies-all good info-I will take it easy

the big grin told cook to just throw it in the back!
Old 30 Dec 2003, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

my brother towed cars for a few years with a dolly not bad at all but like mentioned above just take it easy
Closed Thread