PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thatfatbaby, this is for you...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2003, 12:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Thatfatbaby, this is for you...

You said in a previous post that you would like a little more Zip.

The PT Cruiser is quite the smart car.

It takes a few miles for your car to learn your driving habits.

It will actually program your driving habits and adjust the fuel and sparking to give power when needed.

My daughter owns a white cruiser. The Same year as mine.
Mine seems to have more low end power and quicker when you need to kick it into passing gear.

I just happen to drive my Lil' red wagon a little harder (ok a lot harder) than she does hers. She even commented to me that mine is faster than hers is.
Its really not, its just that mine is used to my driving habits and hers has adjusted to her.

Give it a little time to adjust. (push it a little) It will react after a few miles.

[8)]aint that fast, but looks real good gettin there.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 01:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You can actually 'teach' your transmission to shift differently.

The 41TE auto transmission is used in all models of PT Cruiser. It is a learning computer controlled transmission. I'm often asked why one owners' PT will shift differently from another. The answer is that the TCM has 'learned' to shift differently based upon the owners' driving style. There is a procedure to 'teach' the transmission, which you can utilize on your PT. It's called a Quick Learn.

Once you have performed the following procedure and established a baseline, shift quality will continue to improve as the transmission control module continues to "learn" your particular driving style.

Quick Learn Procedure

1.Allow the transmission fluid to reach normal operating temperature. To do so, apply the parking brake and let the engine idle in neutral until the engine cooling fan has cycled (turned on and off) one complete time.

2. Perform 15 launches from 0 to 50 mph at 25% to 50% throttle and brake lightly to a complete stop following each launch. This will address the 1-2 and 2-3 up-shifts, as well as the 2-1 coast-downs as you brake to a stop.

3. Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kick-down.

Perform steps 2 & 3 10 times. After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure. Without these first 25 shifts, however, your car could have poor shift quality.

Orginally Provided by Motor-Mike PT DIY

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/shiftlearnguide.html

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 31 Dec 2003, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

You can actually 'teach' your transmission to shift differently.

The 41TE auto transmission is used in all models of PT Cruiser. It is a learning computer controlled transmission. I'm often asked why one owners' PT will shift differently from another. The answer is that the TCM has 'learned' to shift differently based upon the owners' driving style. There is a procedure to 'teach' the transmission, which you can utilize on your PT. It's called a Quick Learn.

Once you have performed the following procedure and established a baseline, shift quality will continue to improve as the transmission control module continues to "learn" your particular driving style.

Quick Learn Procedure

1.Allow the transmission fluid to reach normal operating temperature. To do so, apply the parking brake and let the engine idle in neutral until the engine cooling fan has cycled (turned on and off) one complete time.

2. Perform 15 launches from 0 to 50 mph at 25% to 50% throttle and brake lightly to a complete stop following each launch. This will address the 1-2 and 2-3 up-shifts, as well as the 2-1 coast-downs as you brake to a stop.

3. Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kick-down.

Perform steps 2 & 3 10 times. After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure. Without these first 25 shifts, however, your car could have poor shift quality.

Orginally Provided by Motor-Mike PT DIY

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/shiftlearnguide.html

Hate to step on a post, but being unfamiliar with the tranny "names" does this trick work with the Autostick as well? Or is it just for the "normal" automatic transmission.

And by the way, IRPT & cruisergeo, thanks for the info!! [?]

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Old 31 Dec 2003, 10:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It works on the autostick. That is what you use after a stage 1 PCM change.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 09:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ThatFatBaby

That is so neat to know! Thanks much for posting it. My dh had said something about it but uhm I'm guilty of tuning him out quite often cause he tends to blabber about cars ALOT lol. I'm going to have to get on her a little more!

My computer is still in the shop. Motherboard is fried. So still posting from my mom's. ACK!
Old 31 Dec 2003, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

that is great to know !! thanks guys!!
Closed Thread