Advertisements
Key will not turn

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2004, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to relytgerg
Default Key will not turn

Well the old post on this is getting long, so I thought I'd start a new one. If you want to check the old one, you can find it here:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...51&whichpage=1

I continue to have intermittent problems turning the ignition key on my PT. I have:

- Put my PT key on a key ring that will separate to eliminate the weight of the extra keys
- Sprayed some graphite in my lock.

I still have problems. So far, I can't duplicate the problem at the dealers.

When this happens, the key simply won't turn to the ignition position. It will turn to the accessories position. The "fix" is to then turn the steering wheel until it hits a locked postion. Then you have to take the pressure off the locked position or wiggle the wheel until the key will turn. This often takes up to a minute.

[xx(]I'm very frustrated with this right now. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Greg
Old 08 Jan 2004, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

replace the lock!
Old 09 Jan 2004, 06:34 am
Cool Cruiser

The problem isn't really a problem mate. It's part and parcel with the steering lock. Most cars will do this at some point. The added pressure is from the steering wheel. Pulling it to one side or the other (as you already mentioned you have done) will let you turn the key. I doubt if replacing the lock would make any difference, other than lightening your wallet. Even if you can't reproduce it at the dealer they should still be willing to take a look at it.

Do you straighten your wheels when you pull into a space before you turn off the ingition or do you usually just leave the wheels at whatever angle they come to rest in? I ask only because if you leave them at an angle it will sometimes cause the "jam" you're describing. I haven't had it happen with my PT but my old Chrysler and GM cars did it frequently.
Old 09 Jan 2004, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I tend to agree with Beacon. Before you shut off car, even go in reverse and forward a coupla feet and ensure wheels are straight. Then see if problem surfaces. [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2004, 03:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to relytgerg

Actually, the problem appears to be completely unrelated to steering lock. I'm convinced there is some minor damage to, or defect in the actual ignition cylinder. Here's why I'm sure of this: Locking the steering wheel or turning it doesn't normally help clear the problem. I am familiar with this problem on this and other vehicles and the symptoms are different.

Curiously, what does work, everytime, is to apply gentle pressure to the key as if pushing it further into the ignition cylinder. When you do this the cylinder springs in and back out ever so slightly. Then the key works - every time.

It's still a mystery to me, but I'm glad that I have no troubles starting it for now.

Thanks all.

Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Have you tried different keys? Perhaps that key is poorly cut, a little long in positioning to the end? Or one side is cut differently from the other? Take a marker and color one side. Use that side (showing to you) for a while and see if it hangs. Then try the other side. Or another key not cut off of that one.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2sb

Have you tried different keys? Perhaps that key is poorly cut, a little long in positioning to the end? Or one side is cut differently from the other? Take a marker and color one side. Use that side (showing to you) for a while and see if it hangs. Then try the other side. Or another key not cut off of that one.
That's my thought - wife just got a new T&C mini-van. They lost one key & cut another. 1 key (original) is fine, the other sometimes you have to "play with" to get to work.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Feb 2004, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having the same problem on my 2001, but your suggestion doesn't seem to be working for me. I noticed that the original person who placed this topic had to replace his ignition lock cylinder. Are you still having issues with this? My issue is intermittent but for now seems to be locked up. I have tried the wheel turning, brake pressing, pushing the key in more, turning to the left and then the right, you name it. The only thing that has worked for me in the past was luck. Any suggestions?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by relytgerg

Actually, the problem appears to be completely unrelated to steering lock. I'm convinced there is some minor damage to, or defect in the actual ignition cylinder. Here's why I'm sure of this: Locking the steering wheel or turning it doesn't normally help clear the problem. I am familiar with this problem on this and other vehicles and the symptoms are different.

Curiously, what does work, everytime, is to apply gentle pressure to the key as if pushing it further into the ignition cylinder. When you do this the cylinder springs in and back out ever so slightly. Then the key works - every time.

It's still a mystery to me, but I'm glad that I have no troubles starting it for now.

Thanks all.

Old 16 Feb 2004, 12:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTBlue

I am having the same problem on my 2001, but your suggestion doesn't seem to be working for me. I noticed that the original person who placed this topic had to replace his ignition lock cylinder. Are you still having issues with this? My issue is intermittent but for now seems to be locked up. I have tried the wheel turning, brake pressing, pushing the key in more, turning to the left and then the right, you name it. The only thing that has worked for me in the past was luck. Any suggestions?
PTBlue, sorry I can't help you with your problem but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 16 Feb 2004, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Complain to your dealer and demand a new lock cylinder!
Closed Thread