Advertisements
New purchase advice needed

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2004, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to cigarjohnny
Default New purchase advice needed

I just purchased a 2001 Cruiser with 29k miles on it last night that is out of the factory warranty period. I had the option of purchasing a 3yr/36k extended warranty that would give me something beyond the standard 3mo/4K used car warranty. They wanted over $1200 for a basic plan that covered only major mechanicals. I declined as this would expire at 65k and I figured I should not have any serious issue with the car until it has way more milage than that. I have until no later than this coming Wednesday to change my mind on this.

Do you think this was a wise decision? I doubt I can change my mind anyway since I do not have the cash for it at hand and it is too late to finance it into the loan. I just hate to think that I made the wrong choice. Are their any known mechanical issue I can expect to encounter like their are on my other car?

[xx(]

-Johnny ([B)]...yeah, I feel that some days)
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Think you made the RIGHT decision. Just my two cents. [8]
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Ditto Gary04GT.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 10 Jan 2004, 07:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Extended warranties are all a scam; never buy one.

Have cash reserves instead. (Which everyone should have anyway, six months living expenses.)

Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

One of the "weak" spots in Chryslers is their automatic. You don't say which yours is, but if it's an auto, I'd recommend changing the fluid, and you may want the dealer to do that to be sure you get the right fluid. I did, less than $100. Go thru the forums - there have been a few auto tranny deaths. There have also been a few power steering pump deaths, but that's nowhere near as expensive as a transmission.
I have nearly 70,000 miles on mine, only problem I had was an ignition miss cured by replacing the ignition wires (did it myself).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jan 2004, 04:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Other than trans, any major problem should have popped up before 29k.[:I]
Old 12 Jan 2004, 05:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rolo

Extended warranties are all a scam; never buy one.

Have cash reserves instead. (Which everyone should have anyway, six months living expenses.)

I wouldn't say all extended warranties are a scam. I got one through my dealer when I bought my '03 GT. When my GT went down for over a week I got a free car rental and my GT towed to my dealer even though it was farther away than two other dealerships. The extended warranty scams are the ones you don't get through the dealer. Cash reserves are nice, but six months living expenses! Please send me what you are smoking so I can hallucinate that I have all of that extra cash

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 12 Jan 2004, 05:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2sb

Other than trans, any major problem should have popped up before 29k.[:I]
The automatic trans is an excellent reason to get a factory extended warranty. Believe me, major problems pop up after 29k, usually after the 3/36 warranty runs out. [xx(]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 12 Jan 2004, 12:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Unless you think something that costs more than the 1200 warranty, will break down before then, I wouldn't were about the warranty.

If you have a PT like me with more tire problems then you can handle then I would go with the warranty. For under 20k new with the service contract and extended warranty, have come in handy for me.