PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
steering rack replacement

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2004, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default steering rack replacement

[:I]Hi everyone; I have a 2001 pt cruiser with 29000 miles just went out of warrenty. in july I complained to my dealer/service that I had a vibration in steering wheel and tires wearing unevenly also noise when turning,asked them to check it out/ they said nothing wrong with it.this last thursday 1/08/2003 I complained about the same things,now they say I need a steering rack replacement to the tune of $750.00.I asked sense I had complained about it in July 03 when it was under warrenty it should be replaced without cost to me,I'm waitng to hear from them.are other people having this problem and will it return even with the replacement.is this a defective part by the manufactor or is it something wrong with the car that makes them wear out? will appreaciate any info you have .....linda
Old 10 Jan 2004, 08:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

linda, welcome to the forum. I have a 2002 Limited, had to have the rack and pinion replaced around 26,0000 miles. This is a problem on many PTs. Don't know if it will return with the replacement part, hope not. When you complained before did the service department write up a ticket on it? If so I would think it should be covered under warranty.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 10 Jan 2004, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes there is a record of the july complaint...thats why the service manager said he would submit it to chrysler.I'm hoping they agree because I relly don't want to fight with them again.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 01:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Any others with this problem? I have close to 70,000 miles on mine, and the only problem I had was an ignition miss I cured by replacing the ignition wires.
First I'm hearing of this problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jan 2004, 02:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Here's a post discussing the rack and pinion problem.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3388

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 11 Jan 2004, 06:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I may be one of the lucky few that will end up having the rack and pinion replaced a second time. It was replaced at about 6,000 miles. Now with about 16,000 miles the same rubbing sound and heavy steering is coming back that resulted in the first replacement of the rack and pinion.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 11:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum, Linda . To bad your first post was with a problem. As long as there was a write up in July, it should be covered under warrenty.
Closed Thread