PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gas milage

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2004, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default gas milage

Bought a 2001 last month with 13000 miles on it. Limited Edition with auto and traction control. Mostly driving around town and only getting 13 MPG. I've been told the car will learn how I drive and milage should improve. Whats normal MPG ?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 05:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've been tracking mine since I bought it - not quite a year (25 Jan). Overall it's about 22 mpg. It's never gone lower than 18 though. My first tank was actually 23 mpg. All my driving has been in the S.F. Bay Area. No long highway trips. As a matter of fact, I've never even used my cruise control. From what I've read, my numbers appear to be normal.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 05:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have an 03 limited I get around 17 in town and 27 on the highway

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 19 Jan 2004, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome [^] John & Jimbo to the board. I have been checking my '02 and I get 17 & 22.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forums, John.
I get mid-twenties overall. A big factor is tire pressure - I run 36 psi, and it helps. Another factor is using cruise control whenever possible - if you don't have it/don't like it, steady gas is best - "goosing it" slurps gas. Stop & go kills you, because when you're stopped, you're getting zero MPG.
If it has the stock air filter, just changing to a K&N replacement will get a little improvement, as will switching to synthetic oil, but just because the PT is small, it's not an economy car - it's aerodynamics stink, and it's heavy.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jan 2004, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome john, wifes has an 02 base gets between 17-22
Old 19 Jan 2004, 07:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

john1342, welcome to PT Cruiser Links Forum.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 19 Jan 2004, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello and welcome John1342. I have an 03 turbo. I drive in a fair amount of stop and go traffic to and from work between Sugar Hill and Norcross, Georgia Monday through Friday, and some highway/scenic driving on the weekends. My mpg is normally right at 21. I would like to see what it would be if I used a tank on solid highway driving. I use 93 octane by the way. Not sure if that matters too much, just fyi. Hope yours begins to improve.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

13!? OMG, I have never gotten that low! (Turbo, lead foot, I mean really, really lead foot.)

You need to do some investigating. Change oil, change air filter, fill tires, change plugs and plug wires...give it a good douching.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:20 am
Regular Cruiser

.....just a thought....would disconnecting the battery help the computer "relearn" new owners driving habits any quicker??My mileage dropped when I first got my used 03,after about 5 tanks I'm averageing 23-25 mpg.Drive mainly hwy and conservative(after the 1st week[8)])

the big grin says fillerup!
Closed Thread