PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dimming lights and braking

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2004, 03:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default dimming lights and braking

I have an '03 Touring edition with 29,000 miles. I bought the car new in November of '02. Ever since I bought it the lights dim when I hit the brakes. I've had my car in the shop three times for this, and each time the dealer says they can't find anything wrong.

Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody know what the deal is with my PT, or have any suggestions for me?[:I]

Thanks
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:19 am
Dedicated Cruiser

rc51billy, welcome to the forum. You should read this thread concerning the dimming of the lights:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5966

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check into your states lemon laws. Contact the regional Chrysler rep. - better, write Chrysler corporate HQ. Try another dealer.

Good luck.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jan 2004, 12:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's a common problem that *many* have complained about, and like you, my dealer said they can't find anything wrong, and that it's normal, to which I have always disagreed.
I think the more pressure people put on NHTSA, the better chance DCX will look at this seriously as it is distracting and a possible safety hazard.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

hey guys over in the wrx forums, they have had similar problems, what they did was scrap away some paint from under all the ground straps, kinda makes sense to me...

Old 22 Jan 2004, 04:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

I tought I was nuts but when I aply my brakes hard at night it appears to me they dim and come on bright!! I thought maybe it was just the effect of the front end dipping under braking and appearing dimmer out on the road!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

RC51Billy, it took awhile but the service manager and Chrysler rep did admit there is a problem.
TripleJack, sounds like you might have the problem also?
SteelBlueGT, I proberly noticed mine the most when going in or out of the garage and foot on the brake.
Get the service department to get the Chrysler rep there when you take it in. That helps.
If not already, everyone needs to read the WARRANTY INFORMATION pamplet thats included in your owners manuel stuff.
I see polls on other things at times, this might make an interesting one.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome 1sprinkerman!!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a 02 Cranberry and never had the lights dim when i used the brakes but soon after i bought my 03 Dream Cruiser II I had the same problem you have ..I took it to the dealer and they could not find any problem with it [:I]... just as i was about leave one of the guys from the shop came walking in to the service area and over heard the talk ....he just shook his head [xx(]and said it is a ground problem and it would not show up on the computer print out from the tests so i drove the car back in to the shop he spend all of 2 minutes pulled the ground wire off of the body used a file to remove the paint then he put a yellow conductive paste on it to make sure no rust starts and rehooked up the cable ..... problem solved

just goes to show when you have a problem that no one seams to be able to find or correct talk to the old timers [?]

www.londontobayfield.com
Custom Hood Struts ,Mopar Stage 1 Turbo up Grade , Mopar BOV , Bassani duels , Airraid Cold Air Intake , APC body Kit , Billet Grill , APC tail Lights , GTO Pro Beam Headlight Covers, Chrome Bumper inserts , Chrome Door Inserts , Chrome dash eye brows , Chrome gas door , Chrome Antenna Bezel, Custom Flame Job By Yosemite Sam ,
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

1SPRINKLERMAN, welcome to the best forum around.
Closed Thread