PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Review: Keystone Single Port Hood (GHD-PT1)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Review: Keystone Single Port Hood (GHD-PT1)

<h3>Review: Keystone Single Port GoodHood (GHD-PT1) for the PT Cruiser (2001-2004)</h3>
http://www.keystonerestyling.com/cgi...alogno=GHD-PT1

*Note: Some of the images on the "Larger View" links have dimension and other info on the larger pic that you won't see on the thumbnails, so click the "larger view" for more specific information.

This was installed on a 2003 GT model. Some sites still list this hood as not fitting the GT but don't believe 'em. It may not have been designed on the GT frame but it fits perfectly and requires no modification aside from normal alignment. Also you don't have to get the Keystone CAI box, I have the Airaid CAI and it matches up perfectly.

I purchased the hood through BTG (http://www.btgmotoring.com) and had it painted locally. I'm lucky I suppose in that I don't have a paint scheme on my PT so the cost wasn't huge. Unless you come across a deal somewhere, you can expect to pay around $1000 total for the hood itself and your basic single color w/clearcoat.

What you get:

1 Gel-Coated Fiberglass Hood
1 Metal "Keystone" adhesive-backed plate
1 Multi-Color "Keystone" Sticker
1 Install Instruction Page

First off, you're going to need a fair amount of room. For install as well as just somewhere to put it when it arrives. The delivery box is huge. Be sure to open the box and check the hood before the delivery guy takes off. The packing set-up isn't the most reliable so there is a small chance it could have been damaged during transport if it was handled improperly. Remember if the guy takes off and it turns out it's been cracked it'll come out of your pocket unless you inspect the hood while he's standing there and refuse delivery if it's damaged.

Test Fit:

The first step is to remove the hood liner and the stock hood.

Drop Cloth!! The hood liner is held in place by 10 small star plugs. They are a bit of a pain to remove which will be made worse if you drop some of them down into the engine bay. Placing a large towel or drop cloth over the engine will save you from having to hunt them down if you drop a few while taking them off. (See below)

Larger View: (http://www.robertsmedia.net/pt/hood_..._removal_1.jpg)

The star plugs have two tabs that hold them in place. It may be difficult to see because they have three wedge shaped flanges that do a great job of concealing the tabs. The easiest way to remove these plugs is to use a small flat head screwdriver (about 1/8-1/4" blade) to lift one of the flanges a little then slide the screwdriver underneath it to depress the tab on one side, keep a little tension on the flange to keep the tab from snapping back in and you can slide the screwdriver in on the opposite side to get the second tab. It seemed best to use fairly light pressure with the screwdriver. It you push too strongly the tabs seem to either jam or the outer part of the tab breaks off and you end up having to just yank the plug out.

Once all the plugs are out the liner will fall away and you've got a good look at how the stock hood underside relates to your new Keystone. Some things you should note: The holes used by the some of the hood strut kits does not exist on the Keystone hood, also neither do the metal retainer clips for the washer hose or the mounting hole for the washer tubing's "T" fitting on the driver's side.

Larger View: (http://www.robertsmedia.net/pt/hood_..._removal_2.jpg)

I'll revisit this later but it's something to keep in mind if you're planning on a hood swap like this.

Screw the front bumpers down a few turns, the black rubber knobs on the frame around the hood latch assembly. Just twist 'em a few times, they should have a alignment mark on them so you can set them back to the original height. Disconnect the washer hose and if you've got hood struts remove them as well, you can use the stock
Old 16 Mar 2004, 04:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nice job, nice reporting, nice pictures. A++[?][^]
Old 16 Mar 2004, 05:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Beacon, great reviw, great pics and a great hood!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 16 Mar 2004, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks fellas.

This is the mod I've been lookng forward to the most. I started putting money aside for it before I even bought the PT.

I couldn't be more pleased with how it came out. Even the bodyshop guys were psyched about it. Most of 'em made a point to say it was one of the best fiber hoods they've worked with.

There's really not much to the install but over the last 6 months or so I've noticed folks asking some of the same questions over and over about their hoods so I figured it may help answer some of them.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks, Beacon for the info. Good job on the hood!!![^]
Old 16 Mar 2004, 09:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Great job, that is absolutely the best looking custom hood out there. It is on my wish list, but just a wish for now.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Extremely thorough write-up. Thanks. As good as PTDIY.[|)]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Mar 2004, 11:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Great install, Very good pictures and detail. Thanks for the info.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 02:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

You've sold me! That's the hood I plan to get! I just hope my local paint shop can match the Inferno Red of my PT. I hope to get the air box put in first, then save up to have the hood added.

[8)]
Old 17 Mar 2004, 07:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Extremely thorough write-up. Thanks. As good as PTDIY.[|)]
AND IT WAS FREE![?]
Thanks for the write up. Do you have to use the washer/sprayers?
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Closed Thread