PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check Engine Light

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2004, 05:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Check Engine Light

I was driving home from work today, and after only a mile or so, the check engine light came on (light that looks like an engine block). There seemed to be nothing wrong with the car, sounded fine, shifted fine, smelled fine, no smoke, nothing. Anyone gone through this sort of situation before? Is it something simple or could it be that there is a serious problem down below deep within the engine?
Old 22 Jun 2004, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Did you make sure to turn the gas cap so it clicked twice last time you filled it up?

Old 22 Jun 2004, 06:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

You might want to check if your gas cap is on tight. In addition, I think for Chrysler cars, it takes about 40 "cycles" (can't remember the term) of normal operations for the CEL to go away OR you can disconnect the battery to get rid of the CEL if it relates to the gas cap.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 07:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had been driving on the same tank of gas for about 160 miles when it came on. Already took it to the dealer, so we'll see what they say.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Please let us know what dealer finds. [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mine did the same exact thing. I found the code the computer was spitting out, turns out that I had a bad spark plug and needed to change them. It took 3-4 drives and then CEL went out after changing the plugs. Hope it's nothing serious.

[8D]
Old 23 Jun 2004, 04:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Turns out that it was the gascap. It took the sensor 160 miles to figure it out though. No major problem, and Chrysler didn't charge me a cent.