PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A question for Turbos...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:31 am
Young Cruiser

Default A question for Turbos...

We bought our DC2 5 speed with 9600 miles and we just filled her up last night for the first time since we brought her home from the dealer. We only averaged 20.04 MPG[:0] with a 60/40 mix of hiway/city driving. Is this about normal[:I], I get better milage from my 03 TE with an automatic. Thanks for any input.[?]
Old 23 Jun 2004, 11:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Well, I am going to be a bit unsympathetic, but if you bought the DC2 for the gas mileage, you were dreaming. There are many other cars in the price range that possibly get much better gas mileage than the PT's.

Reminds me of when I lived in Colorado Springs and complained to my employer about the low pay. There comment was, "The view of the Rocky Mountains and Pikes Peak make up for the low pay!"

Something similar can be said for a cruiser with a turbo...The better performance offsets the lower gas mileage.

Just grin and bear it and don't step on the gas pedal to much.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You most likely got the DC2 5-speed for its good looks and POWER. It's a fun car to drive with it's 215hp turbo engine, but, you will not be setting any gas mileage records with it, especially, if you develop a case of "leadfoot". [:0] [B)] Your overall gas mileage, depending on your driving style and road conditions, should vary between a low of 16 to a high of 27/28. Enjoy your new ride! [^] [8)]
Old 23 Jun 2004, 01:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm sorry but. DC2?[:I]

Old 23 Jun 2004, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

DC2 = Dream Cruiser 2 (second year)
03 Inferno Red GT (Jun 03 build), 5-speed, leather, heat, 6CD changer, moonroof; winter wheels and tires for year 'round enjoyment; silencers removed, no other mods because I'm having more than enough fun with the power I have now!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 03:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Batman

DC2 = Dream Cruiser 2 (second year)
ahhh.

Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

My first Cruisr was an 01 Limited which averaged about 20 mpg, my 03 GT averages about 19 mpg if I behave myself, so I think the turbo is a deal.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 02:08 am
Regular Cruiser

But mcruz, the key thing that you said is "if I behave myself". I am not certain how you are, but I have a difficult time behaving myself...meaning maintaining control over a foot that often likes to really step on the gas. But, I am careful! (Sometimes)
Old 24 Jun 2004, 07:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

hehehe

I get 10-15 MPG...

You may have seen me in TV.. The guy at the hospital with a chronic lead foot...

Just remember, more fuel = more hp = less fuel economy.

Horsepower is done with fuel, not air. turbo increases air volume so the computer can increase fuel volume thus creating hp.

A 1978 305 chevy engine with a 460 CFM, two barel carburator produced 140 HP. change the manifold and upgrade to a 750 cfm four barrel carburator HP was bumped to 220 HP but you could see the fuel gauge go down

Finally my point:

It is very unlikely that you will get the best of both worlds, HP and fuel economy. If you are into HP you are on the right car but don't expect fuel economy.

Ian
Old 24 Jun 2004, 10:20 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks gang, I do understand the trade off of fuel/horsepower,but I thought that may be the 5 speed would get better milage than a N/A auto? Also someone else told me to reset the computer which I totally forgot about,duhhh [xx(],Keep on Cruisin [8)]