PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie Question: What is seen as high milage

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie Question: What is seen as high milage

A local garage is selling a 2.0 Classic version for £6000. One owner, full service history but it has 80,000 miles. Is this too many for an X reg? I am i going to get problems soon?
Old 25 Jun 2004, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Depends on how many miles you hope for in total. If you're looking for another 20,000 miles, I see no problem. I you want a car for 50 or 60,000 more miles, be prepared to face repairs/maintenance.
I have just under 75,000 miles on mine - I replaced tires, brakes, plugs & wires, and had auto trans fluid & filter changed. I use synthetic oil, and it doesn't use any. That's it in my case.
If it's an auto, be sure to have fluid & filter changed and use only ATF4 or 5.

Are you on UKCruisers.Net?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

$10,949.00 USD seems to be a bit high for that mileage and a Classic (base model here) PT. However, you didn't mention the model year of the PT. For example, if it is a 2002 PT and has an automatic transmission, then the price is about $100 higher than the suggested retail book pricing. Private party value is listed as $8,170 USD for a 2002 in "good condition". Trade-in value is $6,450 USD if in "good condition". Excellent condition would raise the price about $1,000 USD for both private and trade-in, but NOT retail pricing. So there is a lot of haggle room to negotiate a price more to your liking. Manual transmission pricing is lower than the above and I am not sure if the Classic PT had an automatic option in England (some countries only equipped automatics on Touring or Limited Editions).

I would suggest shopping around first and possibly find a lower mileage PT in good or excellent condition or even a later model year for the same price.

Just to add, might want to check out Parker's Pricing, http://www.parkers.co.uk/ , for the suggested car values in England.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 01:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Has the timing belt been changed? If not, it's time, even if the shop manual says 100,000 miles. The basic internal components of a modern engine should last 200,000 miles. The external components, filters, spark plugs, plug wires, waterpump, alternator, will not last nearly as long. The 2.0 engine is not used in PT Cruisers in the USA.
Closed Thread