PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seat Height ?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2004, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Seat Height ?

I have been searching for a PT Cruiser to buy and recently test drove the Dream Cruiser 2. With the dealer incentives on the 2003 model, I am seriously considering it, but I have one question...

I found the seat (power/ leather) seat height was too high even at the lowest setting. I am only 5'10 so I had no issues with headroom. My problem was visibility with traffic lights. When stopped at a light I had to tilt my head down to see the light. Is there anyway to lower the base height of the seat? I can hear the horns honking now?

Also, does anyone ever change their horns? Something a little more distinctive? A little deeper or a little higher?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

United Nathan
Dreaming of a Dream Cruiser 2
Old 25 Jun 2004, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ah, 2 recurring questions. MANY have desired a lower seat setting - some have gotten aftermarket seats - I've considered taking the brackets off the bottom, cutting them, overlapping and bolting halves together, but I adapted instead.
The horn is easier - I added an Aoogah horn. The easiest is to add second horn that was standard before 2003 - I'm told everything is still there to mount it in. Do a search on "horn".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jun 2004, 02:51 pm
Young Cruiser

This was a common problem with cars of the 40's, 50's and some 60's. The solution was a "Traffic Light View Finder". Most mounted on the dash and were mainly a polished prism of sorts that refracted the traffic light to your sightline.
A search turned up this product.
http://www.vapinc.com/mopar/Traffic%...nder/main.html.
It's mount may need to be modified abit.....no windshield trim.
In the meantime do as I do......stop before the light is out of sight. [^]

BTW....I've seen vintage dash mounted viewfinders at many swap meets and even some antique stores. They came in all shapes and sizes. Good hunting!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 02:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

I rented a base pt without electric seats once and hte seat was much lower, but like quicksilver, I have adapted to the situation in my GT. I won't let a little thing like traffic lights come between me and my PT.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think the problem is not with the PT but the placement of traffic lights in diffefent parts of the world. In California most of the lights are on the opisit side of the road with one on the right and one or more over the traffic lanes. I've been in some areas where the light is almost over your car when you stop at the intersection. If its a problem get one of theoe prisims like they use if they have a sun shade or visor.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 05:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JPMS GT

I think the problem is not with the PT but the placement of traffic lights in diffefent parts of the world. In California most of the lights are on the opisit side of the road with one on the right and one or more over the traffic lanes. I've been in some areas where the light is almost over your car when you stop at the intersection. If its a problem get one of theoe prisims like they use if they have a sun shade or visor.
I've noticed that. When i was in Germany last year and all the times before that, The lights were mounted on near side of the street. Even in a Audi A2, i had to bend down to see the light.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 07:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

ah seat height...i wish they were lower too. this has been discussed in the past. use the SEARCH button in the upper right corner and all discussions about this item will spew forth.

horns---many have done an aoogah horn, i did a set of air horns mounted to a bracket just behind the grille. they fit with no problem (i have a billet grille). you can use the factory horn relay. if you go this way, be sure and point the airhorns down so that water will not get into the trumpets. others have added another horn so that they have two of the factory horns. the first of the pt cruisers came from the factory with a high/low horn combination. chrysler dropped one of the horns as a cost cutting measure.
good luck with whichever way you go.
redrum
03 GT
Closed Thread