Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking to buy '04 Touring any input?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2004, 06:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Looking to buy '04 Touring any input?

Hi,

handing my old car to my daughter, and looking at an 04 Touring Electric Blue. In CA there are $4,000 in rebates so I can go out the door at $17,400 with my employee discount. Sound like a good deal?

Looking at the chrome package, any input on that? Also will want to get an MP3 player for it, and perhaps the mopar sub, I know I could do better but at this point in life I just need decent sound, and ease of installation. I may first go with a decent MP3 player (blaupunkt) and new speakers, then take it from there.

Just looking for any input, any must have options, (oh yeah, getting the spoiler),

Thanks

Mike
Old 25 Jun 2004, 07:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mopar spoiler looks the best IMHO. Good choice
Electric blue - great color. Good choice.
Chrome package - You can get all of that cheaper and you have more options if you go aftermarket. None of it should be hard to put on yourself. I would pass on the dealer version and get it later.
See how much more it is for the "turbo lite" option on the Touring. You will like that much better and offers you many power upgrades for cheap in the future. Under $400 and you have more power than the GT if you get Stage 1. Best bang for the buck.
You wanted opinions, you got em'. Enjoy your Cruiser!
[8)]
Old 25 Jun 2004, 07:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Love that color,Like the spoiler also. that was the first
thing I ordered for my first Criuser.It came on the 04.
I agree with Dream2 on the turbo lite.As far as the
chrome package that's up to you.I got it on the 04.Didn't
like the side spears and took them off and put on flat ones.
There are so many ways to go with these cars in the end
it's buy what you like.Happy Cruisen

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PT's are like a blank canvas to an artist. With all of the mods that are available, take your time. Welcome to the Forum.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 11:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The only advantage of buying your car with all the goodies installed BEFORE you take delivery, is that everything will be covered under the basic bumper-to-bumper 3/36 warranty if something should go wrong or needs to be replaced/fixed. But if you can get parts cheaper elsewhere or want a different product installed, that is always an option and many people prefer to go that route.

The out-the-door price you quote is an excellent deal. Just make sure you test drive a few PT's before deciding on the one you want to buy. Each car may be slightly different (fit and finish, engine smoothness, etc.) and you would want get the best one out of the bunch.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 12:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I would say go all out and get the GT. You will be thanking yourself later. I have a 03' Touring Edition, and wish I had gotten the GT, but insurance is an issue for a younger driver like me. I was divided between electric blue and steel blue, and as you can see, I went for the latter. I would make sure that you really love that color before you decide to buy. Do not go in on the factory chrome kit, I've put on just about everything the factory does, and a couple extras, and have come out about a hundred dollars ahead. 17,400 sounds a bit high if you're taking off 4K plus employee discount, I purchased mine for about 17,700 from CarMax with a 2500 rebate and no other discount. Take a look at Carmax before you buy, no haggling, and you're in and out in a couple of hours. (Carmax does sell new cars, they charge extra if you want to purchase one that's out of state.)
Old 26 Jun 2004, 12:27 am
Regular Cruiser

I had to have my dealer, find me an Almond Metallic '04 Touring turbo. It's a great package for the money. With 'off the street' ($2500) discount, my price was $19,435. (no dealer mark-up, includes spoiler, and 6 CD changer) The 'turbo-lite' will give you lots of power for the money. I looked for 4 years, and am glad I waited.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 12:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Turbo option is $1,280. Must get auto with it $825. With the turbo package you get suspension up-grades, thicker front brake rotors same as GT, trans cooler, and other cool stuff. It's a lot more than just a turbocharger.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 01:28 am
Senior Cruiser

This is sort of tough 'cause we all got the cars WE wanted! I was able to take advantage of an employee discount too (thanks Dad!) and opted for an '04 Platinum Series. Yeah, your color choices are then limited to Black, Silver or Graphite Metallic, but the interior is just beautiful! Two tone leather PLUS suede trim, plenty of chrome inside and out, but seriously ugly Platinum Series emblems.

I think sticker was around $26K and employees got some additional rebates around the holidays, so I got if for about $18K - just couldn't pass it up.

Bottom line though, it's your money and your taste. As has been pointed out there's a boatload of chrome and billet trim available for the PT, so you're limited only by your imagination.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 02:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for all the input, I am off to test drive a touring and touring 'turbo lite' tomorrow. With your advice will skip the chrome package. Being from an old detriot V8 background, are there any negatives to the Turbo? I see it is a quick 30HP and I can boost it from there, any more engine wear, maintenance, or ????

thanks, will have one by the end of the month as some of the rebates expire, appreicate the input,

Mike (soon to be '04 PT)
Closed Thread