Advertisements
hard starting- clutch crunch-decals

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2004, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default hard starting- clutch crunch-decals

Questions Does anyone have hard time starting their pt cruiser
after it is parked for 4 hours or longer. I normally start the car without stepping on the gas but lately I have had to use the gas pedal to start. Today it was was very hard to start. I am careful not to flood but it was a little troublesome today. Any ideas.
Also I have a habit of popping the clutch a little when shifting.
When I do this it makes a slight popping noise. If I release the clutch smoothly it doesn't make any noise. Is it just my releasing the clutch too quickly? Or has this happened to others? Has anyone used small flames on the door next to the pt cruiser logo? I think it is from streamlinedesign.com. I want to order some things and just need a little feed back about anyone's experience with quality and application also. [8)][?]
Old 28 Jun 2004, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm assuming this is your first manual car? If so, you can read bellow, otherwise ignore what I'm going to post.

1. Make sure your car is on NEUTRAL, on have the clutch pressed. You can start the car on first gear sometimes, but isn't a good idea....

2. If you are shifting while you have your foot on the gas, your going to have a poping noise when you engage to the next gear. This will shorten the life of your transmission.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i dont have any noises from the clutch but my gt cranks longer than i think it should when its cold or been sitting for a while.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:33 am
Regular Cruiser

I have had the decals on almost a year with no problems yet. They've been through a Chicago winter so they're OK in my book.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

[quote]Originally posted by PTGT_Boy
manual car
1. Make sure your car is on NEUTRAL, on have the clutch pressed. You can start the car on first gear sometimes, but isn't a good idea....

HI
My driveway has a slope towards the street and many little kids around when I'm enroute somewhere. I can't start my 5 speed in neutral for these reasons, what do you suggest? [:I]
I always put on the emergency brake when I park.
I put my foot on brake and push in clutch to start, then into 1st, release hand brake, LOOK, and then a slow roll, LOOK, then gas to go. I'm not kidding about lots of little kids around, and their parents who are watching like hawks, as they should be.
I'm in big trouble if I've been doing this wrong for 3 1/2 years at this home, and 27 years previously to that.
Thanks in advance,
Old 01 Jul 2004, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[quote]Originally posted by frances

[quote]Originally posted by PTGT_Boy
manual car
HI
Never mind, I have been reading all about this on the web. You are right.
I tried it, and I can start in neutral without rolling in street.
My mistake, sorry. Glad I learned the right way.
I'm here to learn.
Old 06 Jul 2004, 11:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy

I'm assuming this is your first manual car? If so, you can read bellow, otherwise ignore what I'm going to post.

2. If you are shifting while you have your foot on the gas, your going to have a poping noise when you engage to the next gear. This will shorten the life of your transmission.
But why is it not a good idea to start it in 1st gear?
Old 07 Jul 2004, 02:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Here's a small snip it from (a good FAQ on driving manuals):

http://cssdrivertraining.com/manualprimer.htm

Make sure the clutch is depressed. Very important! Some cars have safety switches which do not allow the engine to start unless the clutch is on the floor. If the car is in gear and the clutch is not depressed, the engine is essentially connected to the wheels. Turning on the starter with the key at this point would MOVE the car! (It would also place an unnecessary load on the starter motor, potentially damaging it.) Always start the engine with the clutch depressed.
Old 07 Jul 2004, 03:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Taking my GT into my dealer tomorrow for the hard to start cold start. I read somewhere that it might be the check valve in the fuel pump. If it is not working properly then the gas is allowed to bleed back into the tank and there is no gas even when the system is pressurized. That's why it will start on the second attempt. The gas is now all the way up to the engine. My dealer is going to keep it overnight and try to cold start it the next day. I should find out on Thursday what they come up with. My GT used to start up immediately. My wife's '01 PT does.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Jul 2004, 11:40 am
Regular Cruiser

I took my 03 classic in for the same thing, and go figure the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. I tried to let the POST test finish before i start it and that seems to allieveate most of the issue.