PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where else to use Synthetic Fluids? Trany?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2004, 02:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Where else to use Synthetic Fluids? Trany?

Hi,

Me again. I am making my shopping list. What is the majority opinion on synthetic fluids in the rest of the car? I am going to pick up the AMSOIL filters, and Mobil 1.

I plan to go the schedule A option, as much of my driving will be freeway with Cruise control on.

Trany? I have the Automatic
Is there fluid in Rear end or other 'grease points'?

Thanks

Thanks

Mike
Old 29 Jun 2004, 03:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Stay with the Mopar ATF+4 transmission fluid for both your transmission and power steering. Since Chrysler never released the ATF+4 formula to the aftermarket, products claiming to meet the specifications are guessing at the formula. Can go to Bob the Oil Guy forum and do a search. Plenty of discussion on the matter. Believe somebody mentioned Mopar ATF+4 was synthetic.

Other than engine, tranny, and power steering, there really isn't any other fluids or grease you can change or add, at least easily or as part of normal maintenence.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sci-Fi

Stay with the Mopar ATF+4 transmission fluid for both your transmission and power steering. Since Chrysler never released the ATF+4 formula to the aftermarket, products claiming to meet the specifications are guessing at the formula. Can go to Bob the Oil Guy forum and do a search. Plenty of discussion on the matter. Believe somebody mentioned Mopar ATF+4 was synthetic.

Other than engine, tranny, and power steering, there really isn't any other fluids or grease you can change or add, at least easily or as part of normal maintenence.
I would say use ATF+5 - it meets or exceeds ATF+4 . It's what I put in my tranny when I had fluid changed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jun 2004, 11:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Take it from a former Chrysler service manager don't use ANYTHING but MOPAR ATF. Using anything else is asking for trouble if you have a transmisson warranty problem.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:31 am
Regular Cruiser

So would any additives like Slick 50, Duralube, Prolong, etc. be harmful to the trans?
I am not questioning whether or not these products work, but if any bad effects can occur from using them in your transmission.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DREAM2

So would any additives like Slick 50, Duralube, Prolong, etc. be harmful to the trans?
I am not questioning whether or not these products work, but if any bad effects can occur from using them in your transmission.
WHY owuld you use anything different than what has been suggested. Use MOPAR ATF-4 or ATF-5[xx(][xx(].
Old 01 Jul 2004, 01:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DREAM2

None of the additives will hurt he transmisson but you DON't want Chrysler to find it in the transmisson if have a problem. As I said before unless you want to pay for a transmisson if you have a problem don't put ANYTHING or add a cooler to a Chrysler automatic because I've seen claims denied for not using approved fluids. The weakest part of the drive train on a PT is That weak crappy automatic.

I really can't stress it enough just use whats in there now period.
Old 09 Jul 2004, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sci-Fi

I would say use ATF+5 - it meets or exceeds ATF+4 . It's what I put in my tranny when I had fluid changed.

I didn't know there ever was a Mopar ATF+5. Since when?
Old 09 Jul 2004, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeepzj

I didn't know there ever was a Mopar ATF+5. Since when?
Read this thread:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...earchTerms=atf
Closed Thread