Default Dual Exhaust cut out

Would like to know best way to cut out the opening on the
right side for dual exhaust which tools to use,I have the
template any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Gord[:I]
Old 04 Jul 2004, 03:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Good tin snips and a file worked well for me; the material isn't too hard to cut. Just be CAREFUL (measure twice, cut once). Are you using chrome inserts? They say they won't fit a GT, but they will if you put the screws in at a little bit of an angle. A few of us have done it. I did mine before they said they wouldn't fit. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't know a thing can't be done!
John
2003 GT Silver, factory flames, pinstripes, BTG duals, stage 1, 3 silencers removed, K&N dropin, Suspension Techniques sways, BTG strut brace, 17X8 Sport Edition wheels, Yokohama 245-40 AVS ES100 tires, RED calipers, Hidden Hitch
Old 04 Jul 2004, 11:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

I used tin snips and a file and it looks ok, no matter what you do it won't look as good as the factory cut out.
Old 05 Jul 2004, 01:51 am
Cool Cruiser

If you're comfortable with using them a Dremel makes pretty short work cutting through the rear valance. As BL Cruzr says just be sure ya measure a few times to be certain you're dead-on before you cut in. Even if you make a solid cut that doesn't need cleaning up I'd still suggest putting in the metal trim pieces. I was cautioned when I swapped out for the BTG that some folks had some melting because the exhaust is so much closer to the valance than the stock tip.

The trim pieces will fit a GT though not perfectly but you can't tell at all really. I would also suggest not using the supplied screws, instead hit Home Depot and spend 2 bucks on some stainless bolts and nuts. You don't have to worry about the screws backing out or just popping loose since they won't be able to get the same length penetration.

I used three allen head bolts and it came out looking pretty trick. The larger head also helps hide that they go through at an angle. It required slightly enlarging the mounting holes on the trim piece itself but it was well worth it in the end. Just be sure you use rust resistant metals else you'll have to spend some time cutting off the seized hardware. *cough*painintheass*cough*
Old 05 Jul 2004, 07:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Yeah, whatever you do, check it over and over to make sure it's right. Don't rush it.

That being said, how come everybody here uses the term "Dual Exhaust" when I'm pretty sure what you're are really talking about is actually a single exahust system with only 2 tailpipes? True Dual exahust has 2 pipes running off of the engine, going through 2 seperate mufflers (and cats if you have that stuff). Then maybe the system might have a H or X pipe. 2 tail pipes is not true dual exahust, I'm also pretty sure they don't make true-dual exhaust kits for 4-bangers (I've never seen one).

Just a observation I've made.

Old 05 Jul 2004, 07:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Its a lot easier saying "I have duals" instead of "I have a single exhaust with two tail pipes". Everyone here knows that its not a true dual but some llke the look. Thats my observation.
Old 05 Jul 2004, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

Its a lot easier saying "I have duals" instead of "I have a single exhaust with two tail pipes". Everyone here knows that its not a true dual but some llke the look. Thats my observation.
...to say nothing about the sound!!!!! [8)]
Old 05 Jul 2004, 11:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Ditto on the sound Holligan[?] When I am in the mood to stomp on it I always make it a point to pause the CD thats playing. Love that gentle? roar coming from my single exhaust with two tail pipes.[?] Oh heck, coming from my duals!!
Old 05 Jul 2004, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cruzzzn PT

[?]Thanks for all the a help and advice on doing up the cut out for
my exhaust with two tail pipes.
Also where am I able to get the trim pieces you sugested,my cruiser
is not a turbo GT.
Will send picts when finised(2003 LTD]
Thanks Again
Gordon[?]
Old 05 Jul 2004, 01:48 pm
Young Cruiser

cruzzzn:
You can get the trims in a lot of places. 3 that cone to mind are cruiserbits.com, pt tuning.com and revel.com
John
2003 GT Silver, factory flames, pinstripes, BTG duals, stage 1, 3 silencers removed, K&N dropin, Suspension Techniques sways, BTG strut brace, 17X8 Sport Edition wheels, Yokohama 245-40 AVS ES100 tires, RED calipers, Hidden Hitch
Closed Thread