PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
WAL MART OIL...GOOD OR BAD

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2004, 01:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default WAL MART OIL...GOOD OR BAD

I normally use Mobil One but a few days ago at a local Wal-Mart they had Wal Mart brand synthetic 5w-30 in 5 quart jugs for 12.30 a jug. Does anybody know where Wal Mart Oil is bottled from? It is a good price but not sure of the quality of the oil.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's not the oil I'd be worrying about if I were you. I'd worry about the guy changing the oil and filter. There's a couple horror stories about over-filling and using the strength of King Kong to reapply the filter. Be careful.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 02:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I change my own oil....but I know what you mean...
Old 08 Jul 2004, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, I thought you were saying that you were about to have them change it, instead of just buying it. Look over the jug from Wal-Mart and see if it's got the SAE Service stamp. I do belive that most warranty requirements have a double letter standard that has to be met. Mobil 1 says: "Exceeds API Service SJ, SH/CF warranty requirementsfor gasoline and diesel engines".

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

Exactly Crewzin. I take my car to Jiffy Lube. They do it quick! They also replace all the fluids in the car, (windshield, radiator, etc) and if the oil or any fluids go low, they tap them off at no charge. Yeah I pay a little bit more, but its worth it to me.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 04:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Nothing basically wrong with Wal*Mart's synthetic oil. Believe Warren Distribution, a subsidiary of Quaker State/Pennsoil/Shell, blends the oil for Wal*Mart. Where the oil base stock comes from is debatable, since Wal*Mart is known to squeeze out the lowest price from its suppliers. There is a question about the additive package used, when compared to other synthetic oils, and the fact the oil is hydro-cracked group III not group IV. But for the price, it's hard to beat. Shell Rotella T Synthetic could be another alternative, costs the same or a bit more than SuperTech/Tech 2000, also a group III oil, has a better additive package, and is sold at Wal*Mart.

Just stick to your regular 3k mile oil change routine/schedule and you should be ok. SuperTech filters are made by Champion and are well regarded, esp for the price.
Closed Thread