PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exfessive whining from power steering

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2004, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Exfessive whining from power steering

I am getting an real nice whine from the power steering, almost as if the power steering pump is running on empty but the fluid is full

Unfortunately this is past warranty so I am going to have to diagnose this myself, anyone else have this?

-2001 P/T auto
Old 12 Jul 2004, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Belt okay? Nice and tight? Crewzin had his pump "die". Hope it isn't serious.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jul 2004, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I phoned the dealer... $700 + taxes CDN to replace the pump

I checked the belt, looks not too bad

I disconnected the resivoir to cooler hose, ran a temp. hose down, and ran the engine for a bit to drain and flush all the old fluid out...

I think I'll replace the belt and add new fluid, I hope that does the trick

Old 12 Jul 2004, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found this....

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/tl/tl_38.html#936

I am keeping my fingers crossed that changing the fluid will help
Old 12 Jul 2004, 06:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

I can't beleive the number of people here who take there car to the dealer!! I guess you guys have alot of money to waste.

Old 12 Jul 2004, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Konkeler

I can't beleive the number of people here who take there car to the dealer!! I guess you guys have alot of money to waste.
Yeah you are right. We do get in the habit of taking the car to the dealer when the vehicle is under warranty... then keep on going.

We've had some good experince with the dealer we use for service - up until today... it seems that the twp recalls which were supposed to be done almost 2 years ago... were never done by them. Just found this out today. (The dealer we used before this, on our Durango, was a nightmare)

BTW I flushed the power steering fluid. It was messy but, this seems to have done the trick. No more steering noise.

I flushed a 1/2 pint of new fluid into the system, before reconnecting everything, just to make sure all the old fluid was washed out.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ripped

BTW I flushed the power steering fluid. It was messy but, this seems to have done the trick. No more steering noise.

I flushed a 1/2 pint of new fluid into the system, before reconnecting everything, just to make sure all the old fluid was washed out.
Hope that does it - rootin' for ya! You use ATF+4?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:
Hope that does it - rootin' for ya! You use ATF+4?
Yeah... that's what they gave me at the stealership

and... yes it seems to have worked, maybe because the p/t is such a heavy little car the p/s system gets a workout, anyway, I'll flush the system more frequently
Closed Thread