PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
spots on black side pillars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Default spots on black side pillars

List,

Somehow I've gotten some "spots" on the black pillar of the driver's door. It looks like water spots that were allowed to dry in the sun but I can't get them out. I've tried various things but so far no success. I think this happened when I had the oil changed last. They do a complimentary wash at each visit. I noticed it but thought it was only water spots that would come out next time I washed it. I think it must be something else.

Anyone have any suggestions as what to try?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: spots on black side pillars

hi, did you try and cleaner first then a wax or polish ??
Old 18 Jun 2007, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'd try a clay bar, and if that doesn't work, large amounts of plastic explosive should do the trick!
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: spots on black side pillars

If the spots require some "rubbing out", I would suggest nothing more abrasive than Maguire's Swirl Remover. Then a good wax, and then a polymer sealant, or Adams' Brilliant Spray Glaze...specifically made to coat & shine glass, plastic pillars, and chrome.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 07:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by comPuTer View Post
List,

Somehow I've gotten some "spots" on the black pillar of the driver's door. It looks like water spots that were allowed to dry in the sun but I can't get them out. I've tried various things but so far no success. I think this happened when I had the oil changed last. They do a complimentary wash at each visit. I noticed it but thought it was only water spots that would come out next time I washed it. I think it must be something else.

Anyone have any suggestions as what to try?
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I did try cleaning with a "green cleaner" then with a coat of NuFinsh wax. That helped but did not remove the spots. I will try some of the suggestions posted (except for the plastic explosives :-) Thanks for the tips!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I only mentioned plastic explosives 'cuz I had a similar problem on a different make of car that had me wanting to use them!!

Good luck.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to infernocruisr01

you can try back to black from mothers car care products. Thats what i use and it did the trick for me
Old 19 Jun 2007, 12:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Believe this was from Chrysler.

PT Cruiser Applique Discoloration

Figure 2–Discoloration most commonly occurs in the B-pillar and C-pillar appliques.

Figure 3–Apply a "dime sized" amount of Swirl Free Cleaner to the cloth.

Figure 4–Rub the cloth and cleaner on the affected area.

Figure 5–A cotton towel works best when removing the residual cleaner.

September 23, 2002 -A bulletin has been released from DaimlerChrysler that addresses the discoloration of B- and C-pillar door appliques on PT Cruisers (see Figure 1). This discoloration, which may appear as a brown haze or iridescent blue spots, is the result of car wash phosphates coming into contact with the appliques.

Figure 1– Discoloration on the PT Cruiser applique appears as a haze or blue iridescent spots.

To determine if the vehicle has been exposed to these conditions, visually inspect the B-pillar appliques on all four doors and the C-pillar applique on the rear doors (see Figure 2). If a brown haze or blue spots are visible, restore the original appearance using the following the repair procedure.
Required Repair Materials
To repair the damage, the following materials are required:
• Mopar Swirl Free Cleaner, part number 05017020AA
• Microfiber cloth
• 100% cotton towel (clean and dry)
Performing The Repair
Before beginning the repair procedure, make sure the applique is cool and dry. Next, apply a small amount of the Mopar Swirl Free Cleaner to the microfiber cloth (see Figure 3). Rub the cleaner into a small section of the applique and continue rubbing until it is nearly dry. Repeat this process on the entire applique (see Figure 4).
Allow the entire applique to dry. This will take about two minutes. Next, using the clean cotton towel, wipe off any remaining cleaner residue (See Figure 5).
Repeat this procedure for any of the remaining appliques that have discoloration.

I use Back to Black also.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 03 Jul 2007, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Everyone,

Thanks for the ideas. I tried the suggestion of Mother's "Back-to-Black". It did not work even after applying two applicatoins.

I dropped by my local Advance Auto to ask what they could recommend. One of the guys there wanted to see it. After seeing it, he said he didn't think it could be "cleaned" as it looked as if something made it through to the paint. It looks to me like some drips and runs that baked on by the sun from where it was wet and not wiped down.

Even though I don't have any discoloration as described in the reply by Steel Blue, do you think that the Mopar Swirl Cleaner may work even though Back-to-Black did not?
Old 03 Jul 2007, 06:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've had good luck with Meguiars Plastix on mine.