Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Paint Scheme question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Paint Scheme question

Another new guy here. With the birth of my second son nine months ago, it is time I add something to the fleet to haul the troops and park the old 1980 Vette for a while. I have been looking at various PT Cruisers and it looks like it would fit the bill nicely. I have stumbled across an 03 GT, purple in color with blue ghost flames on it. Did DC ever do a paint job like that on a PTC? Any other problem areas to be aware of on a GT, or any PTC for that matter? This car has me talking to myself...my four year old loves it, my wife seems indifferent and I think it is just funky enough for a guy like me. Hopefully I will be on here soon with a new ride.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 03:04 pm
Administrator

Default Re: Paint Scheme question

hi welcome !

i think PT from DC only comes with basic colors.

Check our gallery for some of our members PT

Old 19 Jun 2007, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What timing Skylight, the guy that is trying to sell this car just called me about it. I am going over to check it out this afternoon and he swears it is a factory paint job. Since I am new and naive to the ways of the PT, I cannot argue with him at this point. He called it the "woodhouse special" which I would think would look more like the "Woody" type schemes I have seen. I have a feeling he may be confused about it but no matter. The car is intriguing to me. It looks like a big "Hot Wheel" like I would have played with as a kid.

Thanks for the welcome.

I just found a picture of what this car looks like for the most part.

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Options & Features - Motor Trend

I guess they are decals....interesting.

Last edited by Crash80; 19 Jun 2007 at 04:26 pm.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT did come with all sorts of Dealer ad-on flames. From subtle to out-loud, the choice was yours. The subtle flames came out the same time as the woody package. Subtle flames covered only part of the hood, front fenders and front doors. The out-loud flames could be ordered to cover all the way back to include the rear doors.

Here's a link to some of them:

2002 - 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Flames Option

..and here's a thread talking about them:

Has Anyone Put Purple Factory Flames on White PT?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys. Yep, you are correct. I went and looked at the car and indeed they were decals. I didn't get a chance to drive the car yet unfortunately. When I went over to check it out the driver side front tire was flat. I am going tomorrow to take it for a cruise and see what is what on it. I did start it and it fired right up. AC blew hard and cold and everything seemed to be in order with it just sitting there. Sounded pretty decent for a 4 banger (keep in mind I am used to Chevy 350 with Flowmasters).

Is there anything in particular I should be lookinf for in regards to the GT for common problems?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crash,

Check out the history of maintenance on the cruiser. Ask where he got it serviced and what he's done to it other than change the oil and filter. Has there been mods (stage 1, BOV, downpipe, performance exhaust) added to it?

Weak link in all PTs (turbo and non-turbo) is the transaxle. Make sure it shifts smoothly. If you don't know what to look for, ask if you can have it checked out professionally.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 05:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks CREWZIN. I doubt he will know a lot of firsthand info on maintenance. He bought this car, as well as a black GT that he is keeping, a Hyundai, a Chevy Tahoe and a big 18 wheeler rig from a deceased friends estate. Apparentley the wife would only sell all the cars or nothing. He did say it had been run on synthetic, as his friend ran all of his cars on it. THe car had 44630 on odometer. He also said he didn't have any issue with letting me get it checked out. The "Woodhouse" part of his story mentioned in my previous thread, is actually where the car was originally purchased. Both the GT's tat he has were originally from Woodhouse Chrysler in Blair-Ohmaha Nebraska. I guess the best I can do is a CarFax report and taking it to my trusted mechanic buddy that I have helped finance a boat with all of my old Vette repairs. Where would i find the chip for the stage 1 mod, if I had to look for myself, or is it something I can easily get to? Thanks again guys.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Stage 1 isn't a chip. Chrysler keeps the programing as a highly regarded secret and apparently nobody has been able to get it (that I know of). The Stage one for the 03 GT is a new computer and upgraded (larger) injectors. I don't think you can tell just by looking at it. It's possible if you take the VIN number to a dealer, they can look it up and see if it's been upgraded to Stage 1. The owner needed to supply the VIN to the dealer in order to buy the upgrade so the PTs history should have information on it.

Old 20 Jun 2007, 07:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another thing to check with the VIN while you are at the dealers is: Have any and all of the recalls been completed?"

Welcome to the forum!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar