PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT 5-Speed Shifter Calbe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2007, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT 5-Speed Shifter Calbe

Hello all,

I have a 2001 PT 5-Speed with 40K miles on it. Yes I was one of the ding-dongs that ordered one .. and waited 6 months to get it ... Something about not having enough 5-Speed's they told me but then again the engine/trans were out of the Neons ... go figure ... Looking back I should have bought a Mustang V8 for the same price and better MPG ..... anyways I was wondering has anyone/everyone has or had problems with their shifter cable??? I fixed Trans connection sometime ago but now the eye bushing on the shifter side is now bad .. actually popped off and can't even find the retainer ... the same thing happened under the hood ... the rubber eye bushing goes bad as well as the plastic retainer and pops off at least this time I was able to pop the shifter boot off and put the cable back on the shifter and drive home holding it on ...

I searched the net and it seems to me that this is a dealer item only... kind of like the fuel filter .... no auto parts store carries them the book lists them as dealer installed ... Does anyone know how much the shifter cable is ??? I can rebuild it seeing it looks like a pain in butt to replace it ... and I would bet for the fuel filter it's in the tank correct ??? Probably the reason it's listed as dealer installed.

I bought it because it was functional and I thought the mpg stats were'nt actually correct ... they have to better because it's a 4 cyclinder .. but the best I've ever seen was almost 25 but mostly 18 or 19... please from a 4 cyclinder in a light weight package .. That's bad and I have all the latest updates ...

So any tips on the shifter Cable? MPG ? And oh yes and the stripping on the gray bumpers ..

Thanks in advance
Old 25 Jun 2007, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT 5-Speed Shifter Calbe

Had a 2002, didn't have any trouble with the cable.

As far as MPG, I changed to double platnium and added MOPAR High Performance wires plus Airaid air filter made it 18-20 city 26-28 highway.

As far as the striping on the bumper, I had mine warranty painted twice before I traded it in on the 2006.

Good Luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Jun 2007, 03:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Bushings: The Booger Bushings are an answer (Thank You Neon Fans).

As for the shift cable itself... probably a -grab your ankles and smile- dealer part.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 04 Jul 2007, 05:26 pm
Young Cruiser

I had my cables replaced at the dealership while they were doing the timing belt/water pump thing. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't outrageous.