Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2010, 10:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

Thanks I'll take a look at it today...

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 12 Jan 2010, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS_Cruiser03 View Post
Hi Mopar Brethren! I know long time no hear from the THS_Cruiser....

Been lagging in completing upgrades on mine for a while now (work, life, wife, kids, money etc.). But now that winters here I have more time to work on her.

I like this post it solves some questions I had about installing aftermarket driving lights for my PT from this post:

Xenon HID vs. Factory Halogen - The test!

But also opens up a few other questions....

- Will the 2001 MF stalk part ( New Part# - 05073049AB) work on my 2003 Base PT? I think they are the same and wiring is similar enough but I don't know for sure.

- Also my DL kit is 55 watts for each bulb, can anyone confirm if the stock PT fog lights are also 55 watt?

- If not should I be using the same fuse rating as used for the low beam head lights?

Any replies or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

P.S. - For the record I've now logged over 80K on the THS_Cruiser, 30K with the engine mods and new cams - she's still running like a champ! Also now logged over 4k miles of night driving with the Xenon's and not 1 FLASH from opposing traffic...so I guess she's aimed well.
I put a mulitfunction switch from a 04 in my 01 PT I got from a salvage yard I pulled myself..Never had any trouble and I use my fog lights whenever I have my running lights or regular lights on.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 02:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

PClayton,

I confirm it is also location # 8, 15 amp for fog lights. Mine already has the fuse even!

Great!
kda66 likes this.

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 14 Jan 2010, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

" I took apart the original factory installed MFS looking for anything glaring as to why the fog lights did not work. I found no broken parts inside the MFS. There is a plastic dowel down the middle of the stalk that works a leaver that pushes a metal contact up and down. The springs were good, the leaver worked, the stalk was not worn down or broken. There was oxide around one of the two contacts involved with the fog lights but I cant tell if it was enough to stop electric from flowing. There was a lot of grease type lubricant on a lot of sliding parts inside the switch. Have to wonder about the electrical properties of the grease lubricant and if it was shorting things out or insulating contacts. Maybe it changes properties over time. Pure speculation on my part."

The problem with the switch is shown iin the photo's below. The white activating arm gets chafed by the control rod from the stalk. The wear reduces the amount of lift which results in contact eventually being made after x number of uses. My solution was to use copper epoxied to the ramp. It is working very well and I am also pleased to report that the repair cost next to nothing.

MF switched repair
Old 29 Mar 2010, 06:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi All,
This is sarafox
i am new in this forum site
please guide me

Fuel Filters || Stainless steel mesh
Old 29 Mar 2010, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Where would you like to be guided to Sara and why have you attached your first post on an on-going thread about the multi-function switch. ?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 02:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just get my 2001 PT touring and reviewed the issue to get the MF working but where do I get the bolt and the cooper piece.

Thanks
Old 03 Apr 2010, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2001 Ltd Edition with fog lamps that do not work. My wife she never used them I did a few times though. Now they are dead. Never used how could that switch be bad its all thats left...

The fuse is OK and has 11.78 volts on it. The sockets at the lamps have no voltage at them at all. The bulbs are good measure 1 ohm resistance. Sockets are not corroded and the contacts look fine as do the bulb contacts. No voltage there. The harness disappears into a nightmare of inaccessable void in the front of the car.

This car is like new except for some typical underside rust. The interior is showroom including that multi-function switch.

Is the switch bad? Jeez it's like new looking
I called the dealer today they want 45 dollars labor and 134 for the switch assembly if that's what it is.

Could I spray some De-Oxit down that pull out knob and see if that fixes it?

What is going on guys? What should I do now? I aint taking the switch apart I will never get through it -just no time!
I'm in begging mode.

Last edited by RonsCruiser; 03 Apr 2010 at 07:32 pm.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just looked at the wiring diagram for the fog lights. If the No#8 fuse is good and you turn the fog lights ON through the MF switch and there's no voltage at the lamps, there's not much else other than the switch being bad. I see no relays for the fog lights that could be bad but there is a relay for the headlights at the same switch, but if your head lights work, then that relay isn't bad.

"The interior is showroom including that multi-function switch." The switch will show no signs of being bad. The outside appearance has nothing to do with the burnt-out guts.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the wiring overviw Crewzin. I pretty much figured this but you never know. I'll let the dealer take care of it so it's warranty.

My signature works. Wow!

Last edited by RonsCruiser; 03 Apr 2010 at 09:23 pm.