PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2010, 12:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

My recently acquired 2004 base model did not have fog lights. Investigating, I found that the necessary circuits were all in place on this car's wiring harness, so I decided to add them. I purchased new fog lights on eBay ($56.00 for the pair).
Having read about the problems with the OEM multi-function switch, and finding that a switch would be a costly purchase, I turned again to eBay for a solution.
I now have a retro fog light switch (actual NOS 1930's-1940's Chevy fog light switch with a built in light in the knob) mounted in the floor console where the accessory power outlet had resided.
I have also made use of existing wiring in the harness and auto salvage yard shopping to add:
Power adjustable mirrors with OEM switch (and necessary correct trim panels)
Accessory power outlets below radio dash panel and in rear storage area
Floor console flood light that fits in the rectangular hole at bottom of dash center console (which hole had me mystified until I discovered the light at a salvage yard)

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:59 am.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nice job, shows what can be done when you "think outside the box".

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Oct 2010, 02:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

The multifunction switch on my recently purchased 2001 PT wasn't turning on the fogs...or so I thought it wasn't turning on the fogs...the previous owner pulled the 15a fuse and didn't tell me. I replaced the fuse and guess what...the fogs wouldn't turn off. I followed a thread posted here and took the mf switch out and took it apart. The push/pull switch wouldn't turn the fogs off. The pin on the lever looked like it was worn. The pin fits in a dent on the metal contact...so I removed the contact...partially filled the dent with solder and put the switch back together. It worked...the fogs turn off and on now. Other folks may be able to repair the switch in the same way.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 01:40 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I do not know if the OEM fog lights and multi-function switch allow the fog lights to be turned on independent of the ignition switch and if the buzzer (chime) will sound as a warning that the lights were left on. I do know that my work allowed the fogs to be left on without any warning and this worried me.
So, I have added a relay switch to the circuit that allows the fog lights to be on only when the ignition switch is on. The relay is energized by the disconnected wiring for the floor console power outlet (cigarette lighter) that I removed to mount my fog light switch in its place. This circuit is off unless the ignition switch is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
My recently acquired 2004 base model did not have fog lights. Investigating, I found that the necessary circuits were all in place on this car's wiring harness, so I decided to add them. I purchased new fog lights on eBay ($56.00 for the pair).
Having read about the problems with the OEM multi-function switch, and finding that a switch would be a costly purchase, I turned again to eBay for a solution.
I now have a retro fog light switch (actual NOS 1930's-1940's Chevy fog light switch with a built in light in the knob) mounted in the floor console where the accessory power outlet had resided.
I have also made use of existing wiring in the harness and auto salvage yard shopping to add:
Power adjustable mirrors with OEM switch (and necessary correct trim panels)
Accessory power outlets below radio dash panel and in rear storage area
Floor console flood light that fits in the rectangular hole at bottom of dash center console (which hole had me mystified until I discovered the light at a salvage yard)
Old 24 Oct 2010, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
I do not know if the OEM fog lights and multi-function switch allow the fog lights to be turned on independent of the ignition switch and if the buzzer (chime) will sound as a warning that the lights were left on. .

Yes the OEM lights and fogs can be turned on independent of the ignition switch and yes, a chime will sound if you open the door and leave any of the lights on.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 09:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

This has been an interesting thread; I'm working on my switch as well. Three questions:
1) Has anyone figured out what the exact cause of the switch overheating in the first place is?
2) I'm assuming the small plug w/ two wires going into the stalk is for illumination of the stalk...is this correct? If so, neither the original switch..or the replacement that's in there now have ANY illumination at all...huh???
3) I have NEVER seen the green icon for the fog lights light up in my dash, even when I run the cluster self diagnostic.
After I repair my switch...will this icon light up?
I'm pretty sure it's an LED for that icon, could it be because the circuit is dead that it won't show? Just wondering???
Old 24 Nov 2010, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Will have to leave a few of those questions for someone that's rebuilt the switch but I can tell you the switch/stalk DOES NOT light up at all so the small wires aren't for that. The green icon for the fogs in the dash between the fuel and temperature never light up until the fogs are actually turned on. It doesn't light up when the key is turned on and most of the other icons come on.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 09:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK! Thanks CREWZIN....Hopefully it WILL light up when I repair the switch...and the fog lights too!
Old 01 Dec 2010, 05:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN, I just reread your answer and it occurs to me we are talking about two different things...sort of
When I said I've never seen the fog light icon light up you said it doesn't come on when you turn the key on;
I was talking about the self diagnostic test you can perform to check all the gauges & lights to see if they are working.
It's different than just turning the key on. I still haven't repaired my MFS yet & now I'm wondering if that icon light really does work? BTW it's an LED for the fog light.
Old 01 Dec 2010, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, your right. I just ran the self diagnostics test and the fog light icon doesn't come on.

...and yes, you won't know if it's working until you repair the MFS.