Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie and looking for info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2007, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie and looking for info

Well I'm new to this group,but it looks like the place to get anwsers.I was just given my 02 pt woody limited ed. as a present by my loving wife.I've been a car nut for as long as I can remember,but I'm not real familiar with upgrading a 4 cyl.
What I'm wondering is since my ride is not a turbo,is it feasible to add a turbo to it.Or is there a better way to increase BHP on it?I'm not looking to make it a dragster ,but I'd like a little more oomph on the highway.I love this car and its styling ,but an engine swap isnt gonna happen.I've noticed its tighter in there than under the hood of a big block Vette.So Im gonna browse the site and see,but if anyone has any input that could keep me from blowing money on ideas that wont work I'd love to hear them.
Thanks all,EASY
Norman,OK
Sooner country
Old 14 Jul 2007, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie and looking for info

A turbo can be installed if you don't mind spending the $$'s. You would be better off trading it in for a Turbo and it wouldn't cost you so much.

BTW: Welcome to the board.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Jul 2007, 08:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
A turbo can be installed if you don't mind spending the $$'s. You would be better off trading it in for a Turbo and it wouldn't cost you so much.

BTW: Welcome to the board.
Agreed. There isn't much you can do to make a na PT fast or even just reasonably fast without going with a turbo, though as Hooligan said buying a PT turbo would be cheaper in the long run, especially with the PT turbo engine internals already beefed up and the na PT engine internals being weak.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Jul 2007, 10:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome to the "Woody" club.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I'd have to agree with you,it probably would be easier & cheaper.Only thing is my better half got me this car as a gift,and it would just be cheaper to keep her. So I'll probably just add cold air induction & look around a little.She already says I like to spend too much on my toys.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 05:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the madness!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 08:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Welcome to the site.
Front lowered 1.5 inches, rear lowered 2.5 inches
Kenwood in dash CD/Sirius/Six Disk Changer
First of a few mods

2004 Mercury Marauder (Supercharged)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigslim2
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/484421
Old 16 Jul 2007, 06:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASY View Post
Yeah I'd have to agree with you,it probably would be easier & cheaper.Only thing is my better half got me this car as a gift,and it would just be cheaper to keep her. So I'll probably just add cold air induction & look around a little.She already says I like to spend too much on my toys.
Welcome to the list!

When I needed a tune-up I went with double-platinum plugs and high quality wires. That made quite a difference for my 2001 N/A. I'm sure it's nothing like the turbo, but I could feel a difference. I've also learned to work with this vehicle's weaknesses and it performs "OK" for me. At the right time, however, I would like to get hold of a Turbo-lite.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASY View Post
So I'll probably just add cold air induction & look around a little.She already says I like to spend too much on my toys.
Good place to start. Also look at a free-flow exhaust like BTG - a single is as good as duals for performance, duals just add looks - but listen to a PT with the exhaust you're thinking of BEFORE you buy - music to one is noise to another. Find a PT club or meet and go and listen.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles