Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cooling fan no go on the low

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2007, 06:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default cooling fan no go on the low

I've seen similar issue discussed but my cooling fan will not come on the low side. We checked the relay and it seems to be working. I was trying to avoid replacing the cooling fan if possible, any suggestions?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cooling fan no go on the low

WELCOME to the forum. OK, so you say you've checked the relay. There's two relays (high & low) in the fuse box under the hood. Does the fan work on high speed? The computer controls the on/off of the fan and which speed is selected by means of sensors and your fan doesn't work above 35mph. Above that speed, the air coming in through the radiator should/does keep the water cool. Also, the number #5 (40amp green) fuse under the hood (picture below) is for both speeds of the fan, check that. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jul 2007 at 07:07 am.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser and have a question on the cooling fan operation.

I disconnected the cable to the cooling fan and applied 12 volts to the fan through the connector. I don't know what to make of the results.

When I apply 12 volts from the Black center wire to the Yellow wire the fan runs fast.

When I apply 12 volts from the Black center wire to the Green wire the fan does not run.

When I apply 12 volts from the Yellow wire to the Green wire the fan does not run.

Is this correct? How do I test for Fan High and Fan Low.

Also when the A/C is turned on the Low Fan does not come on. Any advise.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have been through this just a few weeks back, the low speed part of the fan motor went bad. I found this out the hard way one night around 8:30 stuck in stopped trafic on I-75 when the PT over heated and I had to have it towed home.
The Black wire is ground, the yellow is High speed, and the Dark Green is low speed.
Good luck, but sounds to me like you need a new fan motor.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 29 Oct 2009, 09:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Another question - High Fan - I know the relay works and I know the Fan works on high speed. If the car starts to overheat wouldn't the high speed fan turn on.
Old 31 May 2012, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoach View Post
I have been through this just a few weeks back, the low speed part of the fan motor went bad. I found this out the hard way one night around 8:30 stuck in stopped trafic on I-75 when the PT over heated and I had to have it towed home.
The Black wire is ground, the yellow is High speed, and the Dark Green is low speed.
I know, old post.. however.. can I splice jump the yellow and dark green wires together and always run on high (assuming my low side of the motor is shot)?
Old 01 Jun 2012, 03:20 am
Cool Cruiser

oops, Old thread, I guess you could.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 01 Jun 2012 at 03:27 am. Reason: old thread
Old 27 Jun 2012, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoach View Post
Could you please share what you had to do to fix the issue? did you have to replace the fan motor?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 02:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

even tho this thread is 3 years old and he probably isn't around anymore, he most likely replaced the whole fan assembly.

check ebay or rockauto. prices range $85 to $100.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 06:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

He no doubt put in the whole new fan. They're almost the same price as the fan motor. I've heard a few complaints about E-bay fans (probably because it's a crap shoot as to who is making the particular one you buy). RockAuto.com has a Dorman fan for fairly cheap--and it has a lifetime warranty. When I need another fan, I will go that route.

Tim