Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing the battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2007, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Changing the battery

01 PT Crusier guys. No turbo or GT. Anything I should know before changing the battery tomorrow?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 06:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Changing the battery

Take the negative cable off first and put it back on last. Clean the battery terminals and cables. Don't hit the brakes or you'll drain the system and lose presets on the radio.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Jul 2007, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had the local Tires West change the battery. $60 for the battery. $30 dollars for the install. They said regular install is $10, but this was a *special* install. What do you think?
Old 27 Jul 2007, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can I borrow $20, I promise to send it back to you on payday.

Yea, they have to do a little work, but not $30 worth. Sorry.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Damn Im a CHEAP BASTARD,because if somebody wanted to get $30 out of me to swap out the battery,Id of had a fit!!!I got my new optima battery in there with no problems Except for the price but I dont mind if I dont get stranded.Did that come with a car wash and back rub or somthing?
2002 Woody, Limted Edtion,Two Tone Leather Interior ,PW-PL-Heated & Hieght Adustable Seats,Moon-Sun Roof,Crohmed Bumpers & Wheels OEM Dark Tint Glass.K&N Cold Air induction,Crane Igntion & Wires.New Pirelli Pzero Tires. Best of all its a gift from my lovely wife
Old 27 Jul 2007, 10:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJake View Post
Had the local Tires West change the battery. $60 for the battery. $30 dollars for the install. They said regular install is $10, but this was a *special* install. What do you think?
Yes, it's a very special install. The battery is right in the front and you do not have lean way over and lift a heavy piece of hardware. If a "regular" install is $10 then this "special" should be free.

On a side note, why is it that so very often people ask for advice about something after the fact rather than before? I've seen a bunch of people mention that they just bought some piece of junk on ebay and THEN they ask what people think about it!! What's up with that?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 05:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PTJake,

Now that we've probably made you feel bad about spending $30 for the install, I'm gonna back-track a bit.

If the place you went to charges $10 for a "normal install", which means there's nothing for them to do but take the positive and negative cables off and replace the battery, then I guess taking part of the air filter system off, un-straping the heat blanket AND then taking the cables off is worth it to them to charge you more.

Most of us would have balked at the charge and walked away, but if you don't know what's involved, then it might sound reasonable.

You went to a tire place and they probably charge extra for anything except tires, whereas if you had gone to AutoZone, Pep Boys or Discount Auto, they want to sell their products and will test, install and do everything they can to sell their product without the extra charge.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
PTJake,
You went to a tire place and they probably charge extra for anything except tires, whereas if you had gone to AutoZone, Pep Boys or Discount Auto, they want to sell their products and will test, install and do everything they can to sell their product without the extra charge.
Just a quick comment. I haven't yet had to replace the battery on my Cruiser, but I did have to replace the battery in my son's 99 Dodge Stratus a while back. The battery is located in front of the driver's side wheel and you have to remove the wheel to access it freely. Advance Auto did indeed test the battery for me and agreed to replace it IF I would remove the wheel for them - which I did. They did all the rest at no charge. It is my understanding that the battery in the Cruiser is in the same location and would require the same work. Is that correct?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by comPuTer View Post
It is my understanding that the battery in the Cruiser is in the same location and would require the same work. Is that correct?
No. It's located in the front of the engine compartment on the drivers side. If you read my post above, there are about 4 easy steps to get at the battery. Un-clip and take out the front part of the air box. You can then see the battery, and if I remember right (it's been years) there a heat blanket around the battery held on with a strap. Take the strap and heat blanket off. Then the hold down for the battery and the positive and negative cables come off.

Old 30 Jul 2007, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re:CHECKING BATTERY

I LOOKED AT MY BATTERY ON MY O4 DREAM CRUISER (GT). IT HAS A RIGID BAR ACROSS THE TOP OF THE BATTERY. IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A NO MAINTENANCE BATTERY. HOW DO YOU GET AT THE INSPECTION /FILL HOLES TO CHECK LEVEL.