Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another OverHeating Cruiser.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2007, 10:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another OverHeating Cruiser.......

My wife drives a 02 5 speed touring edition. Last Thursday it overheated on her way home. I drove to her and it had cooled down enough to drive home, She drove it to work on Friday no problem and she drove it around all day with not a problem as she was driving home in stop and go traffic both times it did it again.Today I looked it over and took it to my brothers shop and we check it out we let it run 2 hours and nothing then tried it with the A/C on high and in less than 30 minutes it shot the temp up so we check the fan it appears to only be working on one speed either high or low can't tell. but thats only if we hook it straight to power. We checked the two relays for the fan and no change the 40 amp green fuse was good to. My brother hooked his computer to it and tried to turn the fans on manually but it did not work. Oh we changed the thermostat and coolant with no effect. Could it be just the fan or is their another sensor that tell the fan to turn like a fan control switch like the neons have? I've seen that these cruiser have a bad problem with this and the so called professionals at the dealer are at a loss. They just want to take your money and pass you along. Should I get another fan or is their more checks to do first? Please help me its driving me insame.....
Old 22 Jul 2007, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another OverHeating Cruiser.......

it sounds like the fan ??
Old 22 Jul 2007, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replying. We hope its the fan too a new will be in this afternoon so we'll see. Other than that we have only had a few other problems like the shifter cable which would be about $600 installed from the dealer so we just went to home depot and fixed it our selves for about $3 and the factory battery cables which I fixed with some heavy duty wires and connectors from a buddy. I'll repost with the results of the fan change later.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 05:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Florida Cruiser,

Welcome to the forum.

There's no switch. Both speeds of the fan are controlled by the computer which relies on sensors and relays. You say there's a new fan on the way, and hopefully you didn't order it from the dealer. There's lots of places to get a brand new fan/housing for a lot less than the dealer will charge. Hope the new fan cures your problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the fan has not showed up yet and yes we bought it from someone other than the dealer "way less". We got the fan wired so when the key is on the fan is too and today she drove it with no problem so I'm hoping it is the fan. It should be in in the morning so I'll let yall know after we switch it over. And thanks for the info this seems to be a nice forum. One positive thing about the cruiser problem is that the wife now want her 1974 Duster running again it went from a /6 car to a big block with a 383 install waiting on the axle to get complete before its road worthy.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ah, good ole days. Had a Dart with a /6 and 3 speed push-button Torque Flight Xmsn. Peppy little car and ran pretty good.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

????? You have the fan wired to to come on when the key is on and it runs? Doesn't sound like the fan is bad, unless it only runs at low speed and can't go to high speed.
Keep us posted. I like to understand these things based on symptoms and knowing the eventual cure helps.
A '74 Dart w/a 383 for your wife? It's guys like you that spoil it for the rest of us...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jul 2007, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

TADA it was the fan, And yes it would only run on the low side and we did wire it to the on side of the ignition but she has been driving it and no problems. And about the Duster it was her first car and she hated not being able to out run mustangs or the foreign jobbies. So we have been working on it together. But thanks again for the advice on the fan. I was kinda hoping it was something major so we could put a hemi in it. Has that been done yet? I've found a few wrecked ones but just have not gone far enough to buy one and begin such a task of that caliber yet.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCrusier29 View Post
. I was kinda hoping it was something major so we could put a hemi in it. Has that been done yet?

Yea, the hemi's been done ...and also a Viper V10!