PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anybody ever use the rust through part of the warranty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2007, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anybody ever use the rust through part of the warranty?

MY PT has about 52,000 miles on it, it's a 2004, and while washing and waxing it last weekend, I noticed what looks like rust bubbling up through the paint. It's on the passenger side, right behind the rear door on the wheel well lip (the outside). It looks almost like the panel is spot welded to maybe an inner part inside the wheel well. I don't know if it's spot welded or not, but the rust is in a definite circular pattern, about 1/4 inch in diameter, and they are spaced uniformly about 3 inches apart. There are 4 or 5 spots going around the arc of the wheel.

I know that I'm within the rust through part of my warranty, but I am wondering if this is considered "rust through" or just rust, and is it covered by the warranty since there isn't really a hole there?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 24 Jul 2007, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anybody ever use the rust through part of the warranty?

good question i dont think i have ever seen a question such as yours posted on here , i would think it is covered , keep us posted
Old 10 Apr 2008, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I finally got the Cruiser in to the dealership to have them look at it. The problem didn't look as though it had gotten any worse by November last year, and I have a phobia about getting paint and body work done in the winter, only to drive it out into the salt and snow immediately, so I decided to see if I could wait it out through the winter. I had already made an appointment to get it looked at right before Easter weekend. I took it to the carwash the day that I made the appointment and there is a hole about the size of a dime, completely though the quarter panel on the passenger side. I had just washed it about two weeks prior to that and it looked the same as last summer, so it went really quickly. I took it in and dropped it off, and the dealership called and said that Chrysler is going to fix it under warranty. If it would have been an inner panel where you can't see it without having to look up inside the wheel well, they wouldn't have done anything about it.

I called them back today (3 weeks since they ordered the panel) and they told me that they have the panel in, and it will take at least a week to install and paint it, but they don't want to give me a loaner car. That's bullsh**, it's not my faulty panels that caused this problem. I knew that things wouldn't got smoothly!! :-( They first couple of times that I took the car there for service, they were great, so I'm wondering if their service manager didn't leave or retire and they have some don't give a crap person there now. <<shrugs>>

They guy that looked at it initially, told me that he's worked there for over 4 years and has never seen a PT Cruiser have a panel rust completely though. He said that the only quarter panels on a Cruiser that he's ever seen replaced were due to accidents and that they have a great record for rust problems. I guess I have to make a big stink about the loaner car, as I work 40 miles from the dealership and refuse to pay for a rental. That's why I have this car, to keep from driving my Tahoe to work and paying for twice the gas.

Oh well, I'll keep ya informed as to how the rest of this story goes. Stay tuned…

Scott
Old 11 Apr 2008, 07:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok.... You go ahead and raise a stink about a rental. Won't do you any good and it's just going to piss off the people at the dealership. Yes it's not your fault that the panel rusted. I have worked on Chryslers for almost 10 years and have never seen any rust problems. CHrysler is taking care of the rust problem. Be glad that they are doing that and move on.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

I don't care who I piss off, I'm a bit pissed that I would be screwed for 5 days of rental which is something like $200, at least.

I'm not going to just "move on", I bought a fu**ing $13,000 car from them and they need to eat the cost of any repair that is covered under their warranty. If I didn't have a warranty, I wouldn't say diddly about having to shell out for the rental. If they aren't willing to backup their product by eating the cost of stuff like this, then they have no reason to bitch they are losing sales to the Japanese market, it's their own fault.

I paid enough for the car and the incredibly expensive crap like $200 for a friggin tune-up just because the designers were too stupid to make room under the hood so the plug wires could come off without having to rip half of the engine out of the bay.

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe that has twice as many miles as this Cruiser, and is half the problems. The only thing that I've ever replaced is the O2 sensors. With the Cruiser, it's spark plugs misfiring, plug wires needing replaced at 25,000 miles, power steering hoses with leaks in them, rust in the quarter panel, hinges on the tailgate that need replaced, cruise control problems when it gets below 20 degrees outside, control arms replaced at 40,000 miles, complete steering system replacement at 40,000 miles, oh yea, and the thick smoke and knock from the engine ever so often. So if it sounds like I'm pissed, then yes I'd say that I am. I've owned may cars over my years and have had problems with most, but nothing compares the crap that I've have had to deal with from the two Chrysler/Jeep products that I've bought. (2004 PT Cruiser and a 1990 Jeep Wrangler). So as it stands, this will be my last product from the company, I'm sticking with my tried and true GM products from now on.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrisp2 View Post
I don't care who I piss off, I'm a bit pissed that I would be screwed for 5 days of rental which is something like $200, at least.

I'm not going to just "move on", I bought a fu**ing $13,000 car from them and they need to eat the cost of any repair that is covered under their warranty. If I didn't have a warranty, I wouldn't say diddly about having to shell out for the rental. If they aren't willing to backup their product by eating the cost of stuff like this, then they have no reason to bitch they are losing sales to the Japanese market, it's their own fault.

I paid enough for the car and the incredibly expensive crap like $200 for a friggin tune-up just because the designers were too stupid to make room under the hood so the plug wires could come off without having to rip half of the engine out of the bay.

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe that has twice as many miles as this Cruiser, and is half the problems. The only thing that I've ever replaced is the O2 sensors. With the Cruiser, it's spark plugs misfiring, plug wires needing replaced at 25,000 miles, power steering hoses with leaks in them, rust in the quarter panel, hinges on the tailgate that need replaced, cruise control problems when it gets below 20 degrees outside, control arms replaced at 40,000 miles, complete steering system replacement at 40,000 miles, oh yea, and the thick smoke and knock from the engine ever so often. So if it sounds like I'm pissed, then yes I'd say that I am. I've owned may cars over my years and have had problems with most, but nothing compares the crap that I've have had to deal with from the two Chrysler/Jeep products that I've bought. (2004 PT Cruiser and a 1990 Jeep Wrangler). So as it stands, this will be my last product from the company, I'm sticking with my tried and true GM products from now on.
Just throw your PT into the junk pile, and grab a new one

I will agree, my PT has been in the shop more days than I've owned it (just kidding) but it sure seems like it!!

I've probably pitched out as much money FOR the car in repairs as I did pay for the car.

Good luck with your rental, maybe you'll get a brand new PT

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!