Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Better MPG for a 2005 Crusier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2007, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Better MPG for a 2005 Crusier

I just bought a 2005 PT Crusier and I've been told that I can improve it's gas mileage by putting on a duel exaust and maybe a new (about $50) air filter. Is any of this true? Can someone help me?
Thanks AJ
Old 03 Aug 2007, 10:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to infernocruisr01
Default Re: Better MPG for a 2005 Crusier

The more air you can get in the engine from and aftermarket air filter and the more exhaust gases you can get out from a free flow exhaust will help out alot also think about a header and a free flow catiletiac converter too. Also check your pcv valve ( positive crankcase ventilation) and plugs and wires will do it. I hope this helps.

Welcome to the fourm and enjoy your cruiser!!
Old 03 Aug 2007, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

K&N drop in air filter, part # 33-2153. Should be around $30 or so. If you have Autozones in your area they carry it. This is a reuseable filter so don't forget what is called the Recharging kit for $10-15. I haven't checked the mileage interval yet but every so often you have to clean it and re-oil it.

Also, many do what's called the air box modification to improve the airflow even more. I have done it and it is very simple and takes less than an hour even for a novice. It entails removing a white ring silencer and cutting back the snorkel that feeds into the airbox. If interested, you can search on it in the forums for more detailed instruction.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsGTPT View Post
K&N drop in air filter, part # 33-2153. Should be around $30 or so. If you have Autozones in your area they carry it. This is a reuseable filter so don't forget what is called the Recharging kit for $10-15. I haven't checked the mileage interval yet but every so often you have to clean it and re-oil it.

Also, many do what's called the air box modification to improve the airflow even more. I have done it and it is very simple and takes less than an hour even for a novice. It entails removing a white ring silencer and cutting back the snorkel that feeds into the airbox. If interested, you can search on it in the forums for more detailed instruction.
JC, thanks for the info. I had a guy tell me that if I put on a dual exaust it would help a lot, have you heard of any such thing?
AJ
Old 03 Aug 2007, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsGTPT View Post

Ditto to you too Inferno.
Old 03 Aug 2007, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Better MPG for a 2005 Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzinman View Post
JC, thanks for the info. I had a guy tell me that if I put on a dual exaust it would help a lot, have you heard of any such thing?
AJ
Most of the "Not it all's" on the other sites say that a dual or unrestricted exhaust is only a benefit to a turbo. i.e., no help to a NT.
The other posts have covered the inexpensive fuel mileage mods.
Old 04 Aug 2007, 01:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The duals do nothing for MPG or performance (mainly looks & sound) K & N is great! I had them on for 4years--same MPG--- Hard to help PT non turbo adding any extra pipe & smaller muffler without other upgrades,
Old 04 Aug 2007, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I posted this before to another owner that was loking for better mieage, maybe it will help here.

The PT isn't known for it's mileage. The faster you go the worse it gets. Aerodynamically it's a brick. Load of little things you can do to increase the mileage. Go about 3-4 pounds of air above the recommended pressure in your tires. Switch to synthetic oil. Take off from stoplights gently and slowly (but not slow enough to piss people off) get up to the speed limit. Don't run up to stoplights, look ahead and take your lead foot off the accelerator when you see a red light coming up. Don't carry loads that you don't need (like golf clubs all week long when you only golf on Sundays). If nobody else gets in your car, take out the back seats. Go on a diet. ...only kidding. Every little bit helps.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.