Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 A/C Fuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2007, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 A/C Fuse

I have a 2001 PT and the A/C quit blowing cold today. The fan is running but blowing hot air. I don't have a manual and am curious as to where the fuse is and what amp. I don't have a fuse box diagram or know where it's located. Any help is appreciated, it was 100 degrees today and going to stay that way for a few days so I need to get this fixed.
Old 09 Aug 2007, 06:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 A/C Fuse

Welcome to the forum.

The A/C fuse is in the engine compartment fuse box. It's the #11 fuse and it's 10amp.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can anyone tell me what the Fuse in position number 13 on this diagram is, and why it might keep blowing on me?
Old 07 Jun 2009, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwelbourn View Post
Can anyone tell me what the Fuse in position number 13 on this diagram is, and why it might keep blowing on me?

It's a 20A for the Fuel Pump/Auto Shut Down (ASD).

Back to the picture: See Relay #E. That's the ASD Relay. It "COULD" be why your fuse is blowing. Replace it with the relay from #A (Horn Relay) and see if the fuse stops blowing. You won't have a horn while you do this. If it works, buy a new relay for the horn.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for that crewzin, as it turned out the previous owner has obviously had radiator fan issues. He solved it by connecting the top left pin of the fuel pump relay to the top left pin of the fan relay, thus making the fan come on when the ignition is turned on, but putting to much load on the fuel pump fuse causing it to blow! Crazy!!!

Now i need to try and figure out why the radiator fan isn't coming on and fix it properly! When the temperature gets to about half way on the guage the fan still doen't come on and there are boiling water sounds from behind the dash. I assume the fan should be kicking in before the coolant starts boiling?

Last edited by wwelbourn; 11 Jun 2009 at 02:14 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan should kick on low speed as soon as the A/C is turned on and stay on as long as the A/C is working.

It should also come on when the temperature sensor reaches a particular setting. If you can hear water boiling you could have 2 problems. Air in the coolant system (not bled properly) and possibly a burnt out fan motor.

The fan motor seems to be a very weak item as myself and hundreds of owners have had to either replace the motor or the whole fan assembly housing w/motor.

Old 30 Jun 2009, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Crewzin. Thanks for all your input on the PT Cruiser. I, as many others, is now dealing with the same fan issue. In your post you mention that the low speed fan operation turns on immediately when the A/C is turned on.

Below is a chart in the 2003 PT Cruiser manual (2.4L Engine)

Am I reading the chart incorrectly or is it indicating that only high speed operation turns on with A/C?

Thanks.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I see what the chart says but everything I've ever read and I've proved it with my own car, no matter what the temperature is, if the compressor comes on with either the A/C on or the setting on defrost mode, the fan will come on with the low speed.

Try it yourself please and let me know. First thing in the morning, run the can without the air, look at the fan to see it isn't running and then turn the A/C on to see if the fan starts up. The low speed make very little noise so you have to actually look to see if it's turning.

Old 30 Jun 2009, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

I believe I am experiencing issues with the fan therefore my tests would be inconclusive. Currently when the A/C is turned on, I am getting no fan operation whatsoever. When car is idling with A/C on, the A/C will eventually blow warm air , idling hesitates, and the engine compartment jolts aggresively as described by many others. With vehicle in motion, A/C blows cold air fine.

Early research led me to believe that the low-speed relay may be at fault. I gambled on swapping the part but it may no difference. As you stated, the root of the problem is rarely the low-speed relay but rather the fan assembly itself. Unfortunately I read your post after I had bought the relay. The chart above further caused more confusion because I interpreted the information to mean no low speed fan operation occurs when the A/C is on. Again I stumbled across this information after I replaced the relay. However, the question remains whether the fan comes on on low-speed with A/C on or not. I will take your word that it does.

My next attempt will involve trying to remove the fan assembly and test it on the bench, possibly look at the brush wear on the fan motor. Not sure yet how complicated the fan assembly removal will be.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Test the motor in a different way. From the back of the motor there's an 8-10 inch cord that goes to the electrical connection. A red tab at the top pushes to the right and then pull the center tab up so the connection comes apart. You can then run a ground and hot wires to the pins inside the part of the connection that goes to the motor. It should run with the wires attached.

I've also placed a "sticky" on the top of the Tech & Performace section that explains how to remove the fan and housing.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Jun 2009 at 02:19 pm.