Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pulling a trailer with auto trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2007, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pulling a trailer with auto trans

I am moving about 600 miles this next week and rented a 5x8 box trailer to help with the move.I have a 2002 pt cruiser 2.4 and wanted to know if I should or should not pull the trailer in overdrive?I was told to use 3rd gear.I was told by a few people that it will burn up the auto trans if I do it in OD.The weight should not be any more than 700 #. Any info on this would be helpfull.

Randy
Old 12 Aug 2007, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: pulling a trailer with auto trans

Any info on this would be helpfull.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Randy,

Give it some time. A day or so because the forum is pretty slow right now. You have a technical question that a lot of us don't have any experience with and can't help you. I know you can tow up to 1000 lbs with a class A hitch, but haven't heard anything about not using overdrive. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge or experience in towing who can answer your question.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Randy,

Give it some time. A day or so because the forum is pretty slow right now. You have a technical question that a lot of us don't have any experience with and can't help you. I know you can tow up to 1000 lbs with a class A hitch, but haven't heard anything about not using overdrive. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge or experience in towing who can answer your question.
I understand.
I have done a search all over the place and have'nt seen alot of info on pulling trailers with an auto transmission.I hope to get some info before we get on the road.

Randy
Old 12 Aug 2007, 08:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

rbarnett, What you need to think about is ALL the weight. The trailer, your stuff in the trailer, you and whoever else is in your PT and your other stuff if you pack your stuff in the PT too. LOT'S of weight for the 2.4 and it will work really hard to get going and keep you going. So the wise thing to do is shift the trans yourself but don't push it hard, watch the tach and don't let the engine lug itself down. IF the engine cruises right along on flat ground then it should be ok to shift in overdrive. But unless it's NOT flat ground leave it in third, your engine doesn't work as hard and the trans won't heat up because HEAT is what kills a auto trans.

Happy move