Fuel filler foam up!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2007, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Fuel filler foam up!

Hi folks,

2002 PT, mid model, 179 K km on it.

The last few times I tried to gas up, the pump nozzle kept popping closed - like it does when your tank is full. But the tank was nearly empty of course. That's why I was filling up.

This has happened at 3 different gas stations, with pumps that seem to work with other cars, and I've never seen this before, on the PT or any other car I've owned.

I'm worried somebody has stuck something in the fuel filler tube, or maybe it got hit by a stone and dented. (You can probably tell I don't do much work on cars.)

Any hints as to what to look for greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 21 Aug 2007, 11:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel filler foam up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
I'm worried somebody has stuck something in the fuel filler tube, or maybe it got hit by a stone and dented. (You can probably tell I don't do much work on cars.)
Hi Rob

Welcome to the group from another Canuck.

It may just be that particular gas pump. I find different pumps shut off at different times. My usual pump doesn't cut out until the gas is all the way up the filler spout so I have to be careful.

Regards
Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 22 Aug 2007, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nope. As I said, different pumps at different stations; pumps that used to be fine.

Rob
Old 22 Aug 2007, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have trouble after the tank is about 3/4 full. A lot of pumps I've tried keep shutting off not letting me fill to the top. If I take it real easy on the nozzle, I can get it, but that takes ages.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just gassed up again - slooowwwwwlllyyyy!

It took about $3 worth at full speed, then shut off. After that I had to dribble it in very slowly to avoid the froth up. This isn't normal and it only just started a few days ago.

Is there another tube involved in filling up the gas tank? A tube that allows the air to escape or something like that? Maybe that tube has become pinched somehow. Anyone know the details of the fuel fillup parts?

Rob
Old 22 Aug 2007, 09:59 pm
Young Cruiser

I've had that problem before with not only my PT, but also with a Chevy Cavalier...
The way it was explained to me (which could be total nonsense, for all I know...) is that the angle of the pipe leading into the gas tank is such that it is causing the gasoline to backflow just a tad, resulting in it thinking that it is full up to the top. My solution to that was to back the gas nozzle out just a bit and try again. It usually works for me.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi folk,

I thought I'd update this thread.

It took three weeks and 4 visits to the doc but I finally got a new (used) gas tank and all the fittings that are on top of it. Now I can fill up the tank in the usual manner.

I got the same response from the repair guy that I got here in this thread -- nobody took me seriously. So after their first attempt and their first declaration that it was fixed, I backed up to the pumps, tried to fill up. Went in and dragged (not really) the owner out and asked him to try it. At that point he realized the extent of the problem.

Then they thought it was one of the valves above the tank, got a new one and replaced it. Nope, that wasn't it. At which point they decided to ask one of their guys who wasn't working on my PT to diagnose the problem. (What an idea! Diagnose before fixing! What'll they think of next?) He decided it was the one valve that is molded in to the tank -- a sort of float valve which keeps gas from blowing back out while you're driving or something like that. But to replace that one required a tank replacement because it is molded in. I was lucky, they got a great price on a tank from a wrecked PT. Once they installed that all was finally back to normal.

I thought someone might like to know, if they were having the same problem. It's not your imagination; it's real, and it can be fixed.

Rob
Old 04 Oct 2007, 05:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks, Rob.
I've been on PT Forums for 6 years now, and never heard of a similar problem.
Boy, are you lucky....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Oct 2007, 06:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Rob
Old 20 Nov 2014, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Fuel filler foam up!

Hey all im opening this old thread I am having a similar problem when I pump gas it would actually build pressure and spit gas back at me? What the heck I've never seen this before, im going to scope the filler neck if it will let me to see if it's blocked. I have to trickle fill it for now
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 195/65r15
AKA "Banana Car"