PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Ignition coil problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2007, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition coil problem?

My car is running on 3 cylinders, one mechanic told me it was an ignition coil problem, while another mechanic tells me I need a new engine. Has anyone experienced this problem before. I have a 2001 Cruiser with 70,000 miles.

Any feedback would be helpful!

Thanks .... Donna
Old 23 Aug 2007, 01:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition coil problem?

It's extremely rare for the stock coil to go bad. Are you still running with the stock OEM plug wires? How old are they? They are total crap. Aftermarket ones like Crane, Magnecor, MSD, etc are so much better.

What kind of mechanics are you listening too? From ignition coil to new engine. Give me a break. I think they are taking advantage of you because you are a woman. 70k miles is nothing. Change out the plug wires first. Change out the spark plugs, too. That should do it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Aug 2007, 06:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Donna,

Agree 100% with Mean Green. Your being taken advantage of. A good tune-up with the plugs and wires should have you on your way. If all else fails, take it back to a Chrysler dealer; they're expensive but usually a little more honest than a private mechanic, at least the one's you've been talking to.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 23 Aug 2007, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Completely agree with others. For starters, PTs have 2 coils, each one handles 2 cylinders, so you'd be running on 2 cylinders if a coil went, not three.
Ignition wires are the most likely culprit - replace the plugs, too. Get Crane wires, the stock wires are garbage.
See what that does. Even if that isn't it, no way should you need a new engine at 70,000 miles.....
Ask people you know for a good mechanic you can trust. The one who said the coil may be honest but ignorant - he at least knows it's ignition. The one who said new engine you should never go near again.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Aug 2007, 12:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

VERY FIRST THING:

Find a competent and honest mechanic.

Ask your neighbors.
Are you a AAA or CAA member? Their affiliated shops tend to be pretty good.
The 'mechanics files' on the Cars.Com website might help.

Car Talk: Mechanics Files

good luck... and I would also bet on plug wires (and replace the plugs while in there).

PS: The 'new engine' guy ought to have a big "T" for "THIEF" branded onto his forehead.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 23 Aug 2007, 02:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I read & respond to some of the post,,,Ok my PT had similiar problems & now is running fantastic! I had a miss on #3 & #1. We replaced the plugs to double platinums(champion 7570) gapped at .040..Also the wires but we used stock Mopar wires because they were warranty(free),,Anyway I have the old wires & being a mechanic years ago I noticed they were made in USA & to me look quality? I have asked a few dealers (not just one) & they all stated they are as good as any top wires..(the heat of these engines breaks all the wires down today the stated) anyway the big this was downloading the PCM with new software ( it really helped) Chrysler explained that our cars today get bogged down like any computer & need a good reboot with fresh software from time to time9 for me it was 50K & 4 1/2 years,,anyway it made sense to me.I also had the dealer reinburse one of my diagnostic fees which they double charged. So far fingers crossed! MPG is way up also!
Old 23 Aug 2007, 05:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I read & respond to some of the post,,,Ok my PT had similiar problems & now is running fantastic! I had a miss on #3 & #1. We replaced the plugs to double platinums(champion 7570) gapped at .040..Also the wires but we used stock Mopar wires because they were warranty(free),,Anyway I have the old wires & being a mechanic years ago I noticed they were made in USA & to me look quality? I have asked a few dealers (not just one) & they all stated they are as good as any top wires..(the heat of these engines breaks all the wires down today the stated) anyway the big this was downloading the PCM with new software ( it really helped) Chrysler explained that our cars today get bogged down like any computer & need a good reboot with fresh software from time to time9 for me it was 50K & 4 1/2 years,,anyway it made sense to me.I also had the dealer reinburse one of my diagnostic fees which they double charged. So far fingers crossed! MPG is way up also!
The only problem I have with the "refresh" the computer thing is the ECU is not like the home computer where you are constantly adding new data and at times removing it. I don't doubt the dealer told you this. They are there to make and take your money. I have heard some whoppers before and I'll add this to my list. Next they'll be saying to bring the car in to defrag the computer. As I said before I am into the performance end of things having had a modified 280 hp '03 GT and now a modified 315 hp '05 SRT-4. By disconnecting the negative battery cable and reconnecting after 5 minutes or so you in effect reboot the ECU and take the programming right back to day 1 off of the show room floor. It's a lot cheaper to do it this way and you can do it whenever you want. Try it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with over 115,000 miles. A slow & rough idle started about two weeks ago. I saw that many people suggested to change the plugs and wires. I changed the plugs first with Autolite Platinum, that didn't fix it so a few days later I replaced the wires with Bosch wires. Still no fix. Any suggestions, please?
Old 19 Aug 2010, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNicholson View Post
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with over 115,000 miles. A slow & rough idle started about two weeks ago. I saw that many people suggested to change the plugs and wires. I changed the plugs first with Autolite Platinum, that didn't fix it so a few days later I replaced the wires with Bosch wires. Still no fix. Any suggestions, please?

If your going to post here, why send me a private message? I see every post that comes across. I gave you my thoughts back on the PM.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 20 Aug 2010, 08:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNicholson View Post

Crewzin most likely told you but check your intake manifold gasket, most likely the lower one.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson