PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Losing coolant and overheating when stopped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2007, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Losing coolant and overheating when stopped

Hello,
I live in Florida and it's summer, so the temps outside have been hovering over 95. This past month, I've had to add coolant twice and the car has been overheating heating in stop and go traffic or when the car is idling, but it returns to normal once I start driving. The temperature gauge when it gets hot is typically between the middle mark and the top mark.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong? Thanks.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Losing coolant and overheating when stopped

Sorry no answers, but questions. Is your PT a Turbo or NA? What year & milage?

Have you noticed puddling under the PT? Do you smell antifreeze at the exhaust pipe?

Those answers will help the experts on the forum.

BTW Welcome to the Forum!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Aug 2007, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, but you have the classic example of the fan motor burn out. Many owners have experienced the same thing, including myself. As soon as you get going, the air through the radiator will cool the water back down. I overheated in Orlando in traffic which forced the boiling anti-freeze up and out the overflow bottle all over the engine. Once I filled it back up, I was able to drive the 90 miles back home as long as I didn't stop for more than a minute. Luckaly most of the drive was on the turnpike.

The fan motor is controlled by the computer and doesn't work above 35mph, but below that one of two speeds of the fan help keep the water cool.

If you have any mechanical skills, you can pick up a new fan on eBay for under $100 and change it yourself. Otherwise your looking at about $500 + in parts and labor.

A search on this forum for "overheating" or "fan motor" should bring up some of the threads dealing with your problem.

You haven't filled out your profile so I can't tell what part of Florida your in. Might be a PT Club in your area that can help you out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Aug 2007 at 03:08 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys.

To answer the questions, it's a 2003 PT Cruiser Limited (non-turbo) which 41,000 miles on it. I have haven't seen a puddle under the car, but I did smell antifreeze yesterday.

I also had the check engine light come on with a P0452 error code.